Malwarebytes is one of the most commonly used anti-malware applications to get rid of ransomware and malware that corrupts your system. Malwarebytes enables you to protect your private data from being stolen or misused but, it is not free from certain glitches.
While downloading Malwarebytes, it’s essential to install another application called Web Protection. This application protects your device from the malware that is found on the Internet. Various malware and virus can turn off Malwarebytes and your system can get infected by them quite easily.
Web Protection is a necessary part of Malwarebytes. However, many users have complained to face issues due to this application. If you have Web Protection enabled, it might stop you from turning on the malware protection on your device. Even if you are able to turn it on, it can get turned off after a moment.
In this article, we will offer you some easy hacks to turn on this malware protection.
Steps to Resolve ‘Malwarebytes Malware Protection Won’t Turn On’ Issue
Malware protection is crucial for safeguarding your system from unwanted virus attacks. If you can’t turn it on, it becomes a serious concern for your device. Hence, you need to address it as soon as possible.
In this section, we’ve laid down some simple solutions that you can use to turn on malware protection easily.
Re-run the Program
This is a very basic solution that you can try to solve ‘Malwarebytes malware protection won’t turn on’ error. As this solution has worked successfully for some users, you can always give it a try. You are required to perform the following steps to re-run the Malwarebytes:
- Locate the Malwarebytes icon situated at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- After that, click on the icon and then choose the ‘Quit Malwarebytes’ option from the list.
- Now, double-click on the Malwarebytes options and reopen it. Verify if the same issue still exists.
Update Malwarebytes to the Latest Version
One of the primary reasons behind this error could be the old, outdated version of the Malwarebytes that you’re using. Some previous versions of Malwarebytes have shown this issue frequently. Later, the manufacturers solved it in the newer versions. This is an effective way to solve the issue.
Try out these instructions to give your Malwarebytes a necessary update:
- Malwarebytes, like any other application, gets an automatic update from time to time. When a version is available, you will get a notification on your screen. All you have to do is to click on ‘Install Now’ tab.
- However, you must go for a manual update if you don’t get such a notification. So, click on the Malwarebytes icon and then choose the ‘Settings’ option.
- Now, from the Settings window, go to the ‘Application’ option. After this, choose the ‘Application Updates’ section and select ‘Install Application Updates’.
- If a fresh version is available, you will be notified that the download process is in progress. Once the download is complete, allow the application to be installed.
- Finally, follow all the instructions shown on the screen to complete the entire process. Give your device a restart and then check if the problem has been solved or not.
Uninstall MBAM Web Protection Driver
As an alternative method, you can try uninstalling the driver for MBAM. It might appear to you to be an unnecessary step but, it has proven to be effective. Here’s how you can uninstall the driver in question:
- Click on the Malwarebytes icon and choose the ‘Quit Malwarebytes’ option.
- Now, open the ‘Command Prompt’ by typing the name in the search bar and clicking ‘Enter’. Make sure to run it with Administrative privileges.
- After this, copy the following command and paste it followed by pressing the ‘Enter’ key: “sc delete mbamwebprotection”
- Once you have done it, restart the computer and then launch Malwarebytes again.
- Click on ‘Settings’ and choose the ‘Protection’ tab. Locate the ‘Real-time Protection’ tab in Web Protection.
- Finally, move the slider from OFF to ON. You should check if the issue is solved.
Restart the MBAM Service
One of the solutions to fix Malwarebytes malware protection won’t turn on is to restart the MBAMService.exe file. You might have to terminate the file altogether and restart the service. You can try these steps to execute this solution:
- Open the ‘Task Manager’ by pressing the Ctrl, Shift and Esc keys. Alternatively, you can also open the ‘Task Manager’ from the Start menu.
- Choose ‘More Details’ option to expand the Task Manager. Now, click on the ‘Processes’ tab and from the list displayed, try to locate the ‘MBAMService.ese’ file. In case, you find more than one entry in the list then select all of them.
- Now, select the ‘End Task’ option. A warning message will appear on the screen telling that the process will be eliminated.
- Click ‘Yes’ for confirming the message. After this, select the ‘New’ option and go to ‘Task’ section. In the ‘Run New Task’ window, type in ‘MBAMService.exe’
- In the end, give your device a restart and check if the issue still exists.
Restore the System
If none of the above solutions work for you, this is your last resort to turn on the anti-malware application. You can consider restoring your system to make it free from ‘Malwarebytes malware protection won’t turn on’ issue.
Many restore points are created as soon as you install an application. So, it is important that you restore your device to a point before the error took place. Once the restoration is complete, you can be sure that the issue has been removed.
In conclusion, the solutions that we’ve provided here are simple, easy to follow and highly effective. If your malware protection won’t turn on, these tips can save your PC from further damage. Do send your feedback about the article in the comment section.