Low disk space on Windows 10 can show when the partition where the Windows OS has been installed does not have enough storage space.
The full warning notification that you get when the Windows partition does not have much space left is “Your PC’s low on storage. Turn on storage sense and Windows can help free up space.”.
You will get another notification message if the storage space is critically low which will be as “Your computer’s running low on storage space. Visit storage settings to free some up.”.
There are several reasons why this error occurs afterall. Some of the most common causes include the Windows installation partition being full of junk files. Or, if the extension of the Windows partition is not correctly done.
You can also face this error if you install other apps and store files on the partition where the Windows OS is present.
Solutions to Fix Low Disk Space on Windows 10
In this section of the article, we will discuss several methods that will help you to correct the low disk space warning on Windows 10 easily.
Fix 1: Extend the Windows Partition Using Disk Management
Since you can face this error due to less disk space within the Windows partition, therefore the only solution to resolve this issue is to increase the disk space using the Disk Management utility.
Follow the steps underneath.
- First, move all the files of the D drive to another partition.
- After that, tap on both the keys ‘Windows + X’ keys simultaneously to launch the ‘Options Menu’. Next, within that Menu, locate and then choose the ‘Disk Management’ option.
- As soon as you do that, a new window with the title ‘Disk Management’ will come up. After that, right-click on the ‘D’ drive and choose the ‘Delete Volume’ option.
- Next, right-click on the C drive and then choose the ‘Extend Volume’ option. Now, a new window will show up.
- This window has the name ‘Extend Volume’, in it, click on the ‘Next’ button to increase space within the C drive.
Fix 2: Delete Junk Files Using Storage Sense
To fix the low disk space on a Windows 10 PC, you need to activate the Storage Sense feature. This feature has the ability to delete all the junk files automatically. Here are the steps on how to do it.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows’ logo and then select the ‘Gear’ icon. This action will open the ‘Windows Settings’ application window.
- Next, from that window, locate and then select the ‘System’ category. After that, a new page will come up.
- Inside that page, go to the left pane and select the ‘Storage’ option. Next, navigate to the right pane of that page having the heading ‘Storage’.
- Next, within that page scroll down to the section ‘Storage sense’ and toggle the switch to the right to activate this feature.
- After that, below the switch, click on the ‘Change how we free up space automatically’ link. Now, choose the partition whose files you want to delete automatically from a list and put a checkmark in the ‘Delete temporary files that my apps aren’t using’ option.
- At last, close the ‘Windows Settings’ window and then restart the computer.
Fix 3: Use Disk Cleanup to Remove Unnecessary Files
The last resort to rectify this error is to utilize the Disk Cleanup tool. Follow the below steps carefully to learn how you can do that.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana’ logo to launch the search area. Next, within that section write the text ‘disk cleanup’. Then, from the search output, choose the option ‘Disk Cleanup’.
- Next, a new window with the title ‘Disk Cleanup’ will come up. After that, put a checkmark in the following folders like ‘Downloaded Programs Files’, Recycle Bin’, ‘Thumbnails’ and etc.
- Now, click on the ‘OK button. As soon as you do that, a prompt will come up with the label ‘Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?’
- Click on the ‘Delete Files’.
In order to remove the warning “low disk space on Windows 10, you can follow the steps and methods above, carefully and minutely. However, if you find the fixes too complicated to follow or apply, you can connect with a reliable tech professional for an instant solution.
Or, you can just provide the details of the problem that you are facing, in the comment section below.