If you are an Apple device users then you might have definitely heard the name of the iTunes application. This application is quite popular that recently even Microsoft allows their users to install iTunes on Windows devices. Despite its amazing features, it is not free from flaws. Users are often complaining about various issues of the iTunes application. In this article, we are going to discuss one of the most common glitches of iTunes application which is iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone error.
Possible Reasons for iTunes Cannot Read the Contents Error
In order to eradicate any error, it is essential to be aware of the responsible factors. This is why here we are going to describe the causes that trigger iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone 7.
- In the majority of the cases, this error notification pops up when you are trying to transfer media with the jailbroken iPhone, iPad or iPod.
- The corrupted iTunes database is also another potential reason for “cannot read the content” error notification
- It can be possible that the files are improperly written by a third-party software.
- If iTunes is unable to recognize the iPhone then it can trigger this error notification.
Effective Methods to Troubleshoot iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone Error:
The most terrifying factor about this error notification is, that it will ask you to reset the device to factory settings in order to fix the issue. We can understand that the majority of people don’t want to reset their devices to the factory setting.
Since your important file may get deleted by resetting the device, we have come up with some other troubleshooting methods which may or may not help you to get rid of the issue.
So without further delay go through the below-listed troubleshooting method one by one and try to fix iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone issue in your device:
Method 1: Basic Check-Up
Before jumping to the complicated methods you can simply check a few things to solve the problem appearing on your device.
If the problem is occurring due to some simple mistakes rather than a technical issue then going through the following list can get rid of the problem.
- Make sure the Operating System of both devices is updated. If it is not up to date, then install all the latest updates before trying to transfer data.
- Get rid of the USB hub and connect your iPhone directly to the computer port.
- Mark your computer device as trusted whenever it prompts in the iPhone screen during the connecting process.
- Check the USB cable and make sure that the USB cable isn’t broken.
- Ensure there aren’t any third-party applications conflicting with iTunes. It’s usually advised to turn off your third-party security software temporarily before connecting iPhone with a Windows device.
Method 2: Reinstall iTunes (For Windows Device)
Reinstalling iTunes is also another potential solution for this annoying error. If the above methods are unable to fix this issue then try out the following steps:
- At first, turn on your computer and then, press the Windows Key and R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Now, in the Run box type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and then, hit the Enter button.
- Next, from the new window locate and select the iTunes application.
- After that, right-click on iTunes and click on Uninstall option, to remove the program from your computer.
- In the same way, locate and select ‘Bonjour’ to remove it from your computer.
- Once it’s done, your iTunes will be completely uninstalled from your Windows device without leaving any trace.
- Next, download the setup of iTunes only from Apple’s official website even if you have set up exe in your computer, just to make sure that you are installing the latest version.
- Once downloaded, run the latest installation file of iTunes.
- After installation connects your iPhone again and check if the problem is solved or not.
Method 3: Remove Jailbreak
If the problem is occurring in Jailbroken Apple device then you have no other option except to disable the jailbreak feature. If you don’t know how to disable Jailbreak then follow the below steps:
- At first, launch iTunes on your Mac or Windows computer and then connect the Jailbroken iOS device to a computer using a USB cable.
- If you are using iTunes on a Mac OS X device then your iOS device will be displayed in the left sidebar of iTunes.
- Now, click on the File tab present in the top left corner of the window. Next, move your mouse pointer to the “Devices” to open the side panel and then click on the Back-Up button.
- Once you click on the option, iTunes will save and backup all the personal information available in your iPhone such as contacts, apps, music, and application.
- Now, launch the iFile on your iDevice and navigate through the following path: “/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes”
- Next, rename iTunesCDB, iTunesControl, and iTunesPrefs by adding the old at the end of the name.
- Once the above step is complete, click on the File tab again and point to the Devices section. But this time you have to select the Restore option from the side panel.
- When the “Welcome to the New iPhone” window pops up, click on the iOS backup file you have created earlier. After selecting it, click on the Restore button. Now your device will update your iOS device with the latest software, restore your personal data and at the same time, it will remove all jailbreak software from your device.
After completing all the above steps try to move the media again and check if iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone notification is still popping up or not.
Method 4: Modify iTunes Database
If none of the above methods works for you then your last option will be, modifying the iTunes database.
To modify the iTunes database you need the iFunbox application on your computer. So before starting the process make sure this application is installed on your computer
- At first, connect your iPhone via USB and make sure your iFunbox detect your device.
- Now, from the iFunbox home screen select the My Device tab and then click Toolbox option from the left navigation pane.
- Next, from the new window select the User File System and open the iTunes Control folder from the system folders list.
- Now from the iTunes Control folder, locate Music folder and select it to copy-paste to PC (for Windows computer) or Copy to Mac (for Mac computer).
- After creating a backup of the music library stored on your iPhone or iPad open the folder labeled as iTunes.
- From this folder, locate the iTunes CDB file and rename it to iTunes CDBx. Once the process is finished closed the iFunbox application and then launch the iTunes application.
- When you launch the iTunes application after completing above step it will not be able to detect the existing database and creates a fresh index from scratch.
If the problem lies in the faulty database then using this method will definitely help you to eradicate the error iTunes will be able to read all the contents of the iPhone.
We hope our method is able to properly guide you to fix iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone problem. We try our best to provide you with the most effective solution to the problem.
If you are encountering the same issue after following our methods then we will highly recommend contacting an experienced professional.