The “HP printer not printing” issue can come up due to many different reasons. If the driver of the HP printer is not up to date, then there is a chance for you to encounter this problem.
If the printer device is not set as default, then also this error can crop up. Further, if any print job gets corrupted then you can get this glitch. Moreover, if the status of the HP printer is not correct then you get this issue as well. Go through this article thoroughly and learn the fixes to correct this issue in no time.
Solutions to Resolve “HP Printer not Printing”
This section of the article will show you a number of methods that can help to mitigate the “HP printer not printing” issue in an effective manner.
Fix 1: Examine the HP Printer Connection
If the HP printer is not properly connected, then there is a chance for you to encounter this issue. The best answer to resolve this issue is to check if the printer is properly connected or not. Here are the steps on how can you verify it.
- First, take a look at the power cable and see if it is snugly connected to the wall socket. Also, inspect the wire that connects the printer and the computer, and be sure it is not loosely fitted.
- Now, if all the cables are properly connected and even then, this error comes up, then simply restart the machine. Below, there will be substeps regarding the restart process of the device.
- First, turn off the printer. Then take out the power cable from the wall socket and unplug the wire that connects the computer and the device.
- Next, keep them aside for a minute or two.
- After that, plug in the wire that connects the computer and the printer for communication between them.
- Then, put the power cable of the printer into the wall socket and turn the device ‘On’.
- At last, take a blank paper and try to print a document to see if this error is still present or not.
Fix 2: Inspect the Status of the HP Printer
If the ‘Fix 1’ did not rectify the “HP printer not printing” issue, then another easy way to resolve this problem is to check the status of the HP printer. Here are the steps that you can apply.
- First, open the printer’s front panel to see the internals of the device.
- Now, remove the ink cartridges carefully and see if there is enough ink present or not. If the amount of ink is low, then refill the cartridges.
- Next, look for any stuck paper on the print rollers and take them out. After that, see if there are bits of paper left or not. If there is any, then remove those paper bits.
- For best results, wipe the print roller with a lint-free cloth following the user manual on how to do it.
- At last, close the front lid, attempt to print something and see if this error comes up or not.
Fix 3: Make the HP Printer as a Default Device
You can get this issue if the printer is not set as the default device. Thus the one and only solution to get rid of this glitch is to make the HP printer as a default printing device. In order to do it in a correct way, follow the steps provided below.
- First, press the combination of keys “Windows + R” simultaneously. This action will launch the ‘Run’ dialog box. Next, within that dialog box, type in the text -” control panel” beside the label ‘Open:’. Then, tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, a new window with the title ‘Control Panel’ will come up. Inside this window, there will be various categories of settings for the computer, that you can adjust at your will.
- Now, from that window locate and then choose the ‘Hardware and Sound’ category. Next, a new page will come up with the name ‘Hardware and Sound’.
- In that page, find and then select the ‘Devices and Printers’ option. This will open another page that contains a name ‘Devices and Printers’, in it, go to the ‘Printers’ section.
- Then, under that section, locate and then right-click on the ‘HP printer’. After that, from the popup menu which comes up, choose the ‘Set as default printer’ option. If a prompt comes up, then tap on the ‘Yes’ button.
- When the HP printer is set as the default device, you will get a ‘green’ tick just below the icon.
- Lastly, try to print a document and check whether this issue is still present or not.
Fix 4: Quit Every Print Jobs
If any print job gets stuck due to some internal problems, then you can face this issue. The best solution to get rid of this problem is to cancel each and every print jobs within the queue. Follow the steps underneath.
- First, in order to go to the section ‘Printers’ within the ‘Control Panel’ window, navigate to ‘Fix 3’ and follow the first four steps.
- Now, within the ‘Priinters’ section, locate the HP Printer and right-click on it. After that, choose the ‘See what’s printing’ option from the popup menu which comes up.
- As soon as you do that, a new window with the name ‘HP Printer’ will show up. Inside that window, click on the ‘Printer’ option from the menu bar, which will reveal a drop-down menu.
- Next, from the drop-down menu, locate and then choose the ‘Open As Administrator’ option.
- Once again, open the ‘Printer’ option and next, choose the ‘Cancel All Documents’ option from the drop-down menu that shows up.
- If a confirmation message box comes up, choose the ‘Yes’ button.
- Finally, see if the HP printer can print documents or not.
Fix 5: Procedure to Update the HP Printer Driver
If not a single fix resolves the HP printer not printing black, then as a final solution, all you can do is perform an update of the HP printer driver. The steps on how to do that are as follows.
- First, press the ‘Cortana’ logo present on the taskbar. This will open the ‘Search’ section of the ‘Windows Operating System’.
- Within that section, type in the text ‘device manager’. Next, from the search output choose the ‘Device Manager’ option.
- Now, a new window with the title ‘Device Manager’ will come up. Within this window, you will get all the devices and their drivers on a list. Next, from that list, locate and then choose the ‘Printers’ device category.
- After that, click on the arrow present at the front of the ‘Printers’ device category to reveal the sublist, that contains drivers. Then, from the sublist, choose the driver specific to the HP printer and right-click on it.
- Now, from the popup list that comes up, select the ‘Update driver’ option. As soon as you do that, a new window will come up with two distinct links.
- Among those two links, choose the first one that says ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. The Windows OS will begin to search for any updates for the driver.
- If there are any updates available for the HP printer driver, then those will automatically be downloaded and installed. Wait for the update process to get over.
- Finally, reboot the computer and then check if this error comes up while you try to print a document on the HP printer.
To eradicate the “HP printer unable to print” issue you can follow one or all the methods present above. Despite following every steps and procedure in the last section, if you are unable to resolve this issue, then, do not worry.
Just, provide the details of your query in the comment section below and get an instant reply from a professional.