Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install is one of the common problems which are found by the Windows users on their system. This issue appears if the driver is not updated. Windows will launch an update for its existing Operating System to provide increased security, improvements, and overall UI improvements. This update will appear after a certain period of time and is available for users to download and install.
However, there are cases where updates cannot be installed and returned. In this article, we are going to explain various methods that have been certified by end users.
Possible Methods to Resolve Features Update To Windows 10 Version 1709 Failed To Install Problem
Before starting any solving methods you should restart the system. Sometimes, restart the device can fix the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install problem on your PC. Once the system is restarted, check whether the problem is still there or not. If yes, then you can try under-mentioned methods to solve this problem.
Method 1 – Update the System Driver
Updates might not be installed if you use a wrong or outdated device driver. You need to update the drivers on your computer to see if this resolves the update problem. To update the driver, follow the steps cited below:
- At first, you should press the Windows button and the X button to open the WinX menu list and then select the Device Manager application.
- In the Device Manager application, you need to go to the left side panel and select the Display Adapters section to expend it.
- After that, you have to right-click on the Driver and then choose an option Update Software Driver.
- Now, the system will start to find the update. Once it finds, you can see an option Update, click on it.
- Once the update process is finished, restart your PC and then check if the issue still persists or not.
Method 2 – Uninstall the Third-Party Antivirus Application
Antivirus software usually monitors your computer, including system files, to ensure there are no potential threats. Your antivirus can conflict with Windows Update and cause it to malfunction. You can temporarily disable the antivirus program and try refreshing it again.
If the problem persists, make sure you have an active internet connection and your antivirus program is completely disabled from your computer to resolve the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install issue. To disable it, you have to follow the steps:
- You need to open the antivirus application by double-clicking on the antivirus icon which is present on the screen.
- When this window opens, you can navigate to the Settings section.
- In the Settings tab, select the Disable option to turn it off.
After turning off this application if the issue still appears, then you can simply remove it from the system. To uninstall it, follow the steps:
- You should press the Windows button and along with the I key to launch the Settings application.
- From the Settings application, you can see a section Apps and Programs, select it.
- In the Apps and Programs section, you will find the antivirus application and then select the Uninstall button to remove it.
- Now, you can see the uninstallation process has initiated. Once it completes, you have to reboot your PC.
Method 3 – Reset the Windows Update Components
When you see the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install issue on the system, reset the Windows Update Service. You should try rearranging these components to fix this problem. To do that, follow the directions:
- You can press the Windows button along with the X key to open the WinX menu list.
- From that list, you can select the Command Prompt (Admin) application.
- From the Command Prompt window, you can type the following commands: net stop bits, net stop wuauserv, net stop appidsvc, net stop cryptsvc and then press the Enter button after each command.
- Once these commands are executed, again write another command in the Command Prompt window. Type ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old, ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old and then hit the Enter key.
- Once it is done, you need to type another set of commands: net start bits, net start wuauserv, net start appidsvc, net start cryptsvc. Then, press the Enter key after typing each command.
- After executing all these commands, you should reboot your computer and then check whether the problem is resolved or not.
Method 4 – Perform the DISM Tool
If the system files are corrupted then you may see this error message on the system. So, you should run the DISM tool to get rid of this problem. It is a builtin tool of Windows. To run this tool, follow the steps cited below:
- You need to press the Windows Home button and at the same time the S key to open the Search Panel.
- You can type ‘cmd’ in the Search box, right-click on the Search result and then select the Run as administrator button to open a Command Prompt window.
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and then hit the Enter button to run this command.
- Once it gets finished, you need to restart the system.
Method 5 – Run the Windows Troubleshooter Tool
Sometimes, by running the Windows troubleshooter tool can resolve the issue that you have encountered on your computer. So, you have to run the Windows troubleshooter tool to eliminate this particular error message from your PC. Follow these steps:
- You should press the Windows Home button and I key together to launch the Settings application.
- Once the Settings application opens, you should double-click on the Update and Security section.
- From that tab, you can select the Troubleshoot tab from the left side panel.
- In the Troubleshoot section, scroll down the page and find the Run the troubleshooter button, click on it to begin the troubleshooting process.
- Once it completes, you need to reboot the machine.
Method 6 – Disconnect the Internet Connection
Before updating the Windows system you should disconnect the internet connection from the system. To apply this method, follow the directions:
- You can go to the Task Manager and then select the Network icon which is present at the bottom-right side corner.
- After that, if you see it is connected with the WiFi connection then you can select the Airplane Mode option. Now, you can see the network connection is turned off.
- If you are using the Ethernet cable, then you can simply disconnect it from the system.
- After doing this, you can start the update process.
Method 7 – Perform a Clean Boot
By performing a clean boot you can get solved the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install issue on the device. To do so, follow the directions:
- At first, you need to connect the computer to the WiFi or Ethernet cable.
- Once it is connected, you have to press the Windows button + R key together to launch the Run box.
- In the Run box, type ‘msconfig’ and then press the Enter button or click on the OK button.
- When the System Configuration window opens, you need to go to the Services tab and then mark the Hide all Microsoft services button. After that, you can select the Disable all option.
- Next, you can go to the Startup tab and then click on the Open Task Manager button.
- When the Task Manager window opens, you can go to the Startup tab and select each service and then click on the Disable button to stop these services.
- After doing this, you can go back to the services window and click on the OK button to save it.
Method 8 – Remove the WiFi Driver
This is an alternative method that we have shared to fix the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install problem on the system is by removing the WiFi driver. To uninstall it, follow the steps:
- Firstly, you can right-click on the Windows Home button to open the WinX menu list and then choose the Device Manager application.
- In the Device Manager application, you can go to the Network Adapters tab which is located at the left side panel.
- After that, you can right-click on the WiFi driver to open the list and then select the Uninstall Device button to remove it.
- Once it is uninstalled, restart your PC.
Method 9 – Turn Off Internet Information Services
By turning off the internet information services, you should fix this problem that you have found on your computer. To disable it, follow the steps:
- First of all, you can press the Win + S buttons to open the Search Panel.
- In the Search box, type ‘Windows Features’ and then press the Enter button.
- When the Windows Features window opens, you can find the Internet Information Services, unmark it. After that, you can click on the OK button to save it.
- After completing these steps, restart the device.
Method 10 – Repair the Files with SFC Tool
You can repair the files by using the SFC tool. This is an inbuilt tool for Windows system. To do this, go through the steps:
- You need to press the Windows button and X key to open the menu list.
- From that list, you can see an application Command Prompt (Admin)
- After that, you can type SFC/scannow in the Command Prompt window and then press the Enter button.
- Once it executes, you must reboot the machine.
Method 11 – Disable the Windows Update Services
If the Windows update services are turned on then you can see the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install problem. So, by disabling the Windows update services you have to eliminate this problem. The following steps will help you:
- You need to open the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows button and R key.
- In the Run box, type ‘services.msc’ and then click on the OK button or press the Enter button.
- In the Services window, you can find the Windows Update Services, right-click on it and then click on the Properties option.
- From that Windows Update Properties window, you can set the Startup type is Disabled option.
- Once you are done, you can select the Apply button and then click on the OK option.
The above-mentioned methods are sufficient to eliminate the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install problem on the system. With these methods, you can quickly resolve this problem on your computer. In case you face any problem to do this, then you can contact the professional.