“Failure configuring windows updates reverting changes” is an error message which can appear any time when the update process fails.
If the file system settings are set incorrectly, then you can encounter this error on your device. Besides that, if the file system integrity has been compromised, then also you can encounter this error.
In this article, we are going to talk about this particular error and the solutions you can try to fix it. So, you can follow this article to the end to learn about the fixes that we have explained in a step by step manner for easy understanding.
Failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting Changes: Fixes to Follow
Here are some methods you can utilize to resolve this particular error on your own. Follow the fixes and implement them one by one to get back your device to the flawless working state.
Method 1: Boot into Last Known Boot Configuration
Once you encounter this error on your device, at first, you need to boot into the Last Known Boot Configuration mode using these steps:
- First, you need to restart your computer.
- After that, press the F8 key while your device is still booting. Make sure to continue pressing the F8 key and the Windows logo should not appear on the screen.
- Next, at the Advanced Boot Options screen, choose the option Good Configuration (advanced).
- After that, press the Enter button.
If this method fails to resolve the error, try to follow the next method.
Method 2: Delete cleanup.xml and pending.xml
In most cases, you can resolve the Windows Update loop by deleting the cleanup.xml
and the pending.xml files and eliminate this error from the device. In order to delete these files, try to follow these steps:
- First of all, insert the Windows installation media into the disc tray of your device.
- Now, you need to restart your computer.
- Next, you need to boot from the DVD by pressing any key from your keyboard, when you notice the “Press any key” option on your screen.
- Now, at the Install Windows screen, click on Repair your computer.
- After that, in the System Recovery Options, click on the Command PromptWindows 7 System Recovery Options.
- Now, you need to type these commands and press the Enter button after each of them.
- del C:\Windows\WinSxS\cleanup.xml
- del C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml
- Make sure that you have replaced the C: with the letter of the drive where you have installed.
- Once you are done with these steps, type exit, in order to quit the Command Prompt.
- After that, restart your computer.
If the error still persists, even after performing these steps, try to follow the next method mentioned below.
Method 3: Run SFC Scan
You can also perform an SFC scan, in order to resolve this error. On that note, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to insert the installation media and boot from it.
- Next click on Repair your computer.
- In the system recovery options, choose Command Prompt and type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows. You need to replace C:\ with the drive where you have installed Windows.
- Next, press the Enter button to continue.
- After that, the system scan procedure will begin.
- Once you complete the procedure, you need to restart your computer.
After running this procedure, if the Update error still persists, try to follow the next method.
Method 4: Perform a Clean Boot
If the previous methods fail to resolve the issue, you can perform a clean boot on your device. In some cases, a clean boot actually resolves this error. In order to perform this action, try to follow the procedure cited below.
- Firstly, you need to restart your computer.
- After that, click on Start.
- Next, go to the Run field and type msconfig.exe there.
- After that, press the Enter key in order to access the msconfig.
- In the General tab, choose Selective startup.
- Uncheck the box against ‘Load startup items.’
- Uncheck the option showing ‘Load system services.’
- Now, in the Services tab, choose the option showing Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Next, click on Disable all in order to disable all other services
- Click on the OK button.
- Click Restart.
On restarting your device, Windows will perform what is called a clean boot. Now, after the computer starts up, you need to check the status of the error. If the error persists, try to follow the next and the last method.
Method 5: Perform a System Restore
You can also perform a system restore, in order to resolve this error. On that note, try to follow the steps given below.
- At first, restart your computer and press F8 key to boot into the Advanced Boot Options.
- After that, select Safe Mode and hit Enter to continue.
- In case you see the Safe mode option is not successfully booting on your device, try to select the Safe mode using Command prompt.
- In that case, choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt and hit Enter.
- In the Command Prompt window, type rstrui.exe and press the Enter button.
Now, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the procedure.
The error message that states ‘failure configuring Windows updates reverting changes’ can easily be solved using the methods we have explained here. So, you can make use of the same and get rid of this issue quickly and easily.
If you have any further queries related to the steps provided, you can leave that in the comment box.
You can also connect with a tech professional if you want to avoid performing a technical fix yourself.