While using the ‘Windows Media Creation Tool’, you can get an error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. This error can basically pop up when you try to work with the tool. For a variety of reasons, this issue can occur. Some of the most common causes are if the software gets corrupted after download, then you might face this issue. Also, if the tool makes a bootable flash drive, while the device is in FAT32 format, then there is a possibility to encounter this error. Even, if the bootable disk or flash drive is not set to ‘MBR or Master Boot Record’, then this problem can pop up.
What is ‘Media Creation Tool’ in Windows?
The ‘Windows Media Creation Tool’ is a software that allows you to create an installation flash drive or download a ‘.iso’ file of the Windows, which can be burned to an optical drive. So, that the Windows Operating System can be installed on a different computer or even repair it. In order to use this tool, you will have to first download the setup file from the official ‘Microsoft’ website. Then, run that file to install this software on the computer.
Methods to Eradicate the Error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a
In this section of the article, there are various methods that will help you to eliminate this problem with the error code 0x80042405 in an easy and efficient way:
Format the Flash Drive in NTFS File System
This point will provide a direct way to alter the file system from ‘FAT32’ to ‘NTFS’ of the flash drive that you wish to make a bootable device. Also, there are steps to format this drive. So, follow along:
- First, tap the combination of both the keys ‘Windows + E’ to launch the ‘File Explorer’ directory.
- Inside the directory, go to the left panel, then locate and choose the option ‘This PC’.
- Now, on the right side of the window, scroll down a little and find a section ‘Devices and drives’. Under this section, navigate and right-click on the flash drive.
- Next, from the popup menu, choose the option ‘Format’. This will open a new window with the name ‘Format (name of drive) (drive letter)’.
- Within this window, go to the section ‘File system’ and then tap on the drop-down menu. Now, from that menu choose the option ‘NTFS’.
- After that, go to the section ‘Format options’. Under it, put a checkmark on the item ‘Quick Format’. Next, at the bottom of this window, press the ‘Start’ button, to initiate the formatting process.
- At last, when the formatting procedure is complete, attempt to download then run the tool and inspect if this error comes back or not.
Delete any Content from the Download Folder
You can get the error code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a if the setup file of the application ‘Windows Media Creation Tool’ gets corrupted somehow. The best solution to correct this problem is to get rid of all the files present within the ‘Download’ folder and then re-download the setup file of the tool once again. Here are the steps that you can follow in order to do this:
- First, locate the icon ‘This PC’ on the desktop and double-click on it to open.
- After that, on the address bar type the following path and then press the ‘Enter’ key – “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download”. Now, you will get all the content within the ‘Download’ folder.
- To choose all the files and folder, press the combination of ‘Ctrl-A’, then tap on the ‘Delete’ key to remove them. If you get an administrative privilege prompt, then select the ‘Continue’ button. Then restart the computer.
- Once the machine starts up, then visit the official ‘Microsoft’ website and search for the ‘Windows Media Creation Tool’ setup file.
- Next, choose the system architecture i.e. 32/64 bit and download the setup file of the tool. After that, take a flash drive and save the tool into it.
- Finally, insert that flash drive and boot the computer from it to install the Windows.
Startup Type Alteration of the Services Update
Sometimes you can encounter this problem if the ‘Startup Type’ of the Update Services are not set properly during the download process of the Windows Media Tool. The effective and efficient solution to resolve this issue is to change the ‘Startup Type’. In order to do this, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First, press both the keys ‘Windows + R’ altogether. This will open a new dialogue box called ‘Run’.
- Within that dialogue box, type the following text – “services.msc” on the field present just beside the label ‘Open:’ and then, click the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, a new window will come up, that has a name ‘Services’. In this window, there is a list full of all the services for the Windows Operating System.
- Next, from the list choose the following services – ‘Windows Update’, ’Background Intelligent Transfer Service Server’, ‘Workstation’ ‘TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper’ ‘IKE and AuthIP IPSec Keying Modules’. After that, right-click on each of the above services and choose the ‘Start’ option, if they are disabled.
- Next, open the ‘Properties’ window for all the services chosen on the above step and select the ‘Startup Type’ as ‘Automatic’.
- At last, to apply these alterations, reboot the machine and check whether the error comes back or not.
Use a Reliable Software to Make a Windows Installation Flash Drive
If none of the methods above are unable to eradicate the Windows error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a, then a feasible solution is to get reliable software from the internet. For that to happen, follow the results underneath:
- First, open a web browser and then, search for reliable software that allows you to make a bootable flash drive to install Windows.
- Next, from the search output, locate the most popular reliable application and download it. Once the download gets over, then run the setup file.
- After that, follow the on-screen instructions that come up on the window and accordingly install the software.
- Now, once again go to the browser and visit the official website of Microsoft. On that website, locate the latest Windows OS ‘.iso’ file and download the same.
- After that, launch the newly installed reliable software and then select the ‘.iso’ file. Then, choose the button ‘Next’.
- At last, insert the flash drive and follow the information that comes on the screen to create a bootable USB drive.
Execute a File ‘setupprep.exe’
In this point, you will get steps to execute a file ‘setupprep.exe’ that will certainly help to eliminate this problem. In order to do that, follow the lines beneath:
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows’ logo, to open the ‘Menu’.
- Next, from that ‘Menu’ choose the option ‘Run’. This will open a dialogue box, which has the same name as the option you chose on the previous line.
- Now, within this dialogue box, enter the text – “C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources” and then, hit the ‘OK’ button. This opens a new window with the content of the ‘Sources’ folder.
- Inside this folder, locate the file ‘setupprep.exe’ and double-click to open it.
- Once this file executes then the given problem will be removed.
Follow all the steps present in the previous section, in order to mitigate the error code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. Now, even after following all the points in the above section still there is no possibility to eliminate this problem.