The error 0x80070570 can come up on Windows 10 Operating Systems when you attempt to remove a specific directory or file. The full message that shows up once this error appears is as follows: “(0x80070570): the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.”
There can be several reasons for the occurrence of this issue. Some of the most common causes include interference with your antivirus software.
If there is a malfunction with the hard disk drive even then you might face this error. Further, if there is some corruption with the data in the ‘SoftwareDistribution’ folder, then there is a possibility for you to face this issue.
Solutions to Solve the Error 0x80070570
This section consists of fixes which will help you to get rid of the error 0x80070570 easily. For your convenience, we have provided the methods in a step by step manner. Try to follow them one by one until the error fixes on your Windows 10 system.
Method 1: Initiate the Startup Repair
Sometimes, you can face this issue during the startup process. Now, the best way to rectify this problem is to launch the ‘Startup Repair’ procedure. Here are the steps on how you can do it.
- First, locate and then choose the ‘Start Menu’. Then, from that menu, select the ‘Power’ button. Next, from the popup menu that appears, hold the ‘Shift’ key and choose the ‘Restart’ option.
- After that, once the machine starts up, a screen will come up with a blue background that has a heading ‘Advanced Startup Options’
- Next, on that screen, locate and then select the ‘Troubleshoot’ option. Then, when a new screen appears, select ‘Advanced options’
- Now, on the ‘Advanced Options’ screen, click on the ‘Startup Repair’ option. If a prompt comes up that asks you to input the administrator password, then enter it.
- As soon as you do that, the ‘Startup Repair’ process will begin and automatically attempt to locate and correct any kind malfunction present within the computer.
- This process takes quite some time to complete. Once the repair process is complete, there will be a report which will inform you if it is successful or not.
Method 2: Inspect the Hard Drive Using the Check Disk Utility
If the hard drive contains any corrupt files within it, there is a high possibility for you to encounter the error code 0x80070570. Now, the best solution to eradicate this problem is to execute the ‘Check Disk’ utility.
In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows + S’ keys simultaneously to open the ‘Search’ section. Next, within that section, write the text “command prompt”. Now, from the result of that search locate and then right-click on the ‘Command Prompt’ option.
- After that, from the popup menu which comes up, choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option. As soon as do that, a new window titled ‘Command Prompt’ with the black background and white text will show up.
- Now, inside that window, write the following command – “chkdsk /f X:” and then tap on the ‘Enter’ key to execute. In this command replace the ‘X’ to some other drive letter within the computer.
- This command will start the disk check process and it will scan the chosen partition for any error within the hard drive. This process takes some time to complete, at least ten minutes or more.
- When the scanning process is over, perform the check disk procedure for all the other partitions within the PC. Once everything is complete, close the ‘Command Prompt’ window.
- Lastly, reboot the computer and then attempt to remove any file from the computer and see if this error comes up or not.
Method 3: Remove the Content Within Software Distribution Directory
When the files or data within the ‘Software Distribution’ directory gets corrupted then there is a chance for you to face this glitch. The feasible answer to resolve this problem is to delete all the contents with the Software Distribution folder.
Follow the steps below to learn how to remove the files.
- First, tap on the combination of keys ‘Windows + R’ together. This will launch a dialog box with the name ‘Run’. Within this dialog box, type in the text ‘command prompt’ on the empty area beside the label ‘Open:’. Then, click on the ‘OK’ button.
- After that, once the ‘Command Prompt’ window comes up, input the commands as follows: ‘net stop wuauserv’, ‘net stop bits’. After each command press the ‘Enter’ key to run.
- Now, locate the ‘SoftwareDistribution’ folder within the partition where Windows is installed. Then, press the keys ‘Ctrl + A’ to select all the files within the ‘SoftwareDistribution’ directory.
- Next, tap on the ‘Delete’ key to remove all the files on to the ‘Recycle Bin’ and empty the same.
- Once all the contents within the ‘SoftwareDistribution’ directory get removed, maximize the ‘Command Prompt’ window and input the following commands – ‘net start wuauserv’, ‘net start bits’’. After that, hit the ‘Enter’ key to run those commands,
- When the execution of all the commands are over, start the computer once again and see if this issue is present or not.
Method 4: Remove the Folders that Starts With ‘$’
Sometimes due to some corrupt information within the hidden folders which starts with ‘$’ you can get the error 0x80070570 on Windows 10. The, best answer to resolve this issue is to delete all those folders from the Windows installation partition.
Follow the steps beneath to know how it is done.
- First, launch the ‘File Explorer’ from the taskbar. After that, on the menu bar, tap the ‘View’ option.
- When the drop-down list appears, locate and choose the ‘Options’ item.
- As soon as you do that, a new ‘Folder Options’ window will come up. Within that window, select the ‘View’ tab. Under that tab, navigate to the ‘Advanced settings:’ section.
- Inside that section, locate the ‘Hidden files and folders’ option. After that, choose the ‘Show hidden files, folders, and drives’ radio button.
- Next, click on the ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ buttons respectively. From this time onwards, you will get all the folder name that initiates with ‘$’. After that, go to the Windows installation partition and remove all those folders.
- Once all those folders are removed, restart the computer and see if this issue comes back or not.
Method 5: Alter the Hard Drive Interface Settings on BIOS
When you encounter the error 0x80070570 while trying to install updates on the Windows OS. Then, the only answer to resolve this issue is to change the interface settings of the hard drive within the BIOS.
- First, restart the computer and then press either the ‘Delete’ or ‘F12’ key continuously to launch the ‘Basic Input and Output’ settings.
- Now, with the BIOS settings window, navigate to the ‘Disk’ section. Next, within that section, go to the option ‘SATA Operation’ and then click on it.
- Now, alter the ‘RAID Autodetect /ATA to ‘RAID Autodetect /AHCI’ or vice versa.
- Then, press the ‘Y’ key to save this alteration and next, exit from the BIOS settings page.
- As soon as you do that, the computer will boot into the Windows OS.
- Finally, attempt to update Windows and check whether this issue shows up or not.
Method 6: Utilize the Activation Troubleshooter
You may even face this issue while attempting to activate the Windows Operating System. Now, the one and only solution to prevent this problem from ever occurring again is to use the ‘Activation Troubleshooter’ tool.
Here is the procedure on how you can do that.
- First, tap on the keys ‘Windows + I’ simultaneously, to launch the ‘Settings’ application.
- As soon as you press on those keys, the settings for the Windows OS will get displayed.
- Now, in this window, locate and then choose the ‘Update & Security’ category, out of all the others that are present.
- Next, from the new page that comes up, go to the left panel and then choose the ‘Activation’ option. After that, go to the right side of that page and select the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Now, a new window will come up, and the Windows OS will begin the search process for any possible glitches.
- If there is any problem found in the Windows activation process, then that will automatically be resolved.
- Now, check whether the Windows OS gets activated or not.
The error 0x80070570 can effectively be fixed by following the methods provided above. However, if even after you follow every method, the issue is still not resolved, then do not worry a bit. Just, provide all the details of the issue that you are encountering, on the comment section below and get an instant reply from an expert.