While you are trying to transfer a file from one device to another, then you can encounter the “Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty”. In such a case, you won’t be able to remove the files without administrative permission. This error becomes an annoying issue for all Windows users especially when they try to access the external drivers. As a result, the system starts to freeze and pop-ups with an unexpected error message, “Error Code 0x80070091 System Restore”. However, we are going to define some of the necessary steps to handle this situation confidently.
Significant Errors behind System Restore Error 0x80070091
Some of the critical issues are responsible for the System Restore Error 0x80070091 very often. Here, we are going to discuss the significant errors that help you to understand the core factors behind it:
- Accumulated junk files on your PC are responsible for creating the error 0x80070091.
- Corrupted system files damage the System restore programs and make this annoying issue happen.
- Error 0x80070091 may occur due to disk file errors or because of installation errors.
- Malware attack is another responsible reason for this annoying issue to surface. It creates multiple copies of the virus-infected files and spread the virus from one file to another.
- Obsolete driver corrupts the Windows PC and causes the problem very often.
- If you don’t have administrative permission over the files or folders, then you can face this System Restore error.
Resolve Error 0x80070091 with a Few Technical Hacks
There are various ways that you can use to fix the error 0x80070091 effectively. Moreover, it helps to enhance the device’s performance. Here, we are going to talk about some of the technical ways to fix it quickly without any technical hassle. So, you might try out the effective steps and make it simple to handle without any flaws.
Method 1: Clear the Junk Files
Remove such files on a regular basis is one of the effective methods to prevent the error 0x80070091. Moreover, it helps to avoid the possible conflicts associated with the system and increases the system longevity:
- Type “cmd” in the Cortana Search box and right-click on the Command Prompt option that appeared on the Start menu.
- Now, choose Run as Administrator from the pop-up menu. Enter the correct Administrator Credentials and get the access permission by clicking on the Verify button.
- Then, hit the YES button and run the Command Prompt in Admin Mode.
- After opening the Command Prompt window, type “cleanmgr” and hit the Enter button to run it. This tool will begin to run automatically and calculate the occupied memory spaces.
- Click on the checkboxes of the unnecessary files including the temporary files.
- Next, hit the OK button and confirm all junk files removal process. Finally, verify whether the 0x80070091 error appears or not.
Method 2: Run the System File Checker
To repair the system files and its associated files to the System Restore program, you can resolve the System Restore Error 0x80070091. So, you need to run the system file checker and fix the error accordingly:
- First, locate the Command Prompt from the Start menu and run it in Administrator mode by right-clicking on it.
- Now, Click the YES button to open the Verification window and verify the Admin account by entering the correct credentials.
- After launching the Command Prompt window in Admin Mode, type the command “sfc/scannow” and execute it by hitting the Enter key at the end of the command.
- Confirm the process by pressing Y from the keyboards and letting it to scan the entire system files one after another.
- It will start to run automatically and identify the corrupted system files from your device. Then, the device will start to repair the damaged system files and enhance the device performance.
Method 3: Run the Disk Checking Tool
To run the Disk checking tool, you can identify the disk errors easily. Moreover, you can fix the specific disk problem without effective other drives respectively:
- First, open a Command Prompt window in Administrator Mode and type the command “chkdsk C/f/r/x”.
- Now, run the command by pressing the Enter key on the keyboard. This tool will start to run and identify the Local Drive error.
- After identifying the disk issues, it will start to repair if necessary and generate a report after deleting the problematic disk files or folders.
- Finally, restart the system in Normal Mode and verify whether the System still displays the error message, “System Restore Error 0x80070091” or not.
Method 4: Run a Malware Scan
You can perform the malware scan and disinfect the virus-infected files accordingly. Moreover, it helps to avoid all the possible web threats through its full scanning feature:
- First, download the System Security Software from a trustworthy website and save the folder on the system.
- Now, double-tap on the folder and run the Antivirus installer from the window. It will take a few times to install and when done, double-tap on the folder.
- Now, click on the Scan tab or tap on the Scan for Virus option from the window. Choose either Quick Scan or Full Scan from the next window.
- Confirm the system scanning program by tapping the YES button and let scan the entire device.
- After a successful scan, the device will identify the virus-infected files and kill the malware issue effectively.
Method 5: Upgrade the PC Drivers
You can install the PC drivers with the latest version and fix the driver installation error very quickly. Thus, it helps to keep System drivers up-to-date and enhance the CPU cycles that trigger ultimate system performance:
- Type “devmgmt” in the search box and press the Enter key from the keyboard to open the Device Manager window.
- Here, you can see a list of devices attached to that System. Moreover, the outdated driver will be viewed by marking as Yellow.
- Expand the device one by one and choose the device named and model from that list. Right-click on it and select Update Driver from the list.
- Confirm the driver update program by tapping the YES button from the confirmation dialog box.
- It will start to upgrade immediately after getting a confirmation message and when done, try to reboot the PC. Now, check whether the Error 0x80070091 still persists or not.
Method 6: Own the Files or Folders that you are Working On
You need to check the file or folder properties whether you have full administrative rights over them or not. Make sure that your device is logged in as an admin mode and you get permission to access the files or folders under this environment:
- Double-tap on the My Computer or This PC icon from the desktop window. Now, open the C drive and tap the Windows folder.
- Then, choose the file or folder and right-click on it to select the Properties option from the pop-up menu that appeared on the screen.
- Tap on the Security tab from the Properties window and click on the Advanced button.
- Now, choose Owner option and follow the on-screen instructions to get the ownership permission.
- Here, you need to modify the ownership details and enable the new ownership status by enabling the New Owner option.
- Next, choose to Replace owner option from both of the “Sub-container and Objects” section.
- Finally, locate the damaged or corrupted files and remove them if necessary. Now, verify whether the System Restore Error 0x80070091 got fixed or not.
Method 7: Perform a System Restore
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard and launch the Start menu on the screen. Click on the Settings app (gear icon) from that list.
- Select Recovery icon from the Settings window and choose System Restore from the resultant window.
- After that, choose an earlier date when your device worked fine and confirm the tool running process by hitting the OK button from the same window.
- Now, the tool will start to run and the PC will reboot automatically after finishing it. This program will remove all the unnecessary damaged files from your device by its scanning process.
- After restarting the Windows in Normal Mode, check whether the 0x80070091 error still appears on the display or not.
In the above article, we have defined the methods to overcome the error 0x80070091 effectively. Moreover, we have discussed the significant issues behind this annoying issue. So, we hope this content will be helpful to fix this critical error permanently.