Error Code (10) is mainly a Device Manager error that arises due to outdated or corrupted drivers. This error code does not enable the Device Manager to start a hardware device.
If you are stuck with the same problem, then leave worrying and try out the methods one-by-one as given below. Also, study this article till the end as it will help you to get your desired result. So, let’s check further.
Proven Methods to Solve the Device Cannot Start Code 10 Issue:
To fix the device cannot start code 10 error, try the methods as stated here. Try out both methods until you solve this issue.
Before following the core methods of solving error 10, it is advised to run a virus scan on your computer.
The presence of a virus on your system, not only slows down the system performance but, also defects the system files, which is one of the major causes of the error code 10.
Run a Virus Scan on your PC
To run a virus scan, Windows Defender, the default security tool is very effective. The steps to follow to full scan your PC by using the Windows Defender security tool are as follows:
- First of all, navigate the mouse pointer onto the Windows logo, and then right-click on it.
- After that, from the Menu window, select the “Settings” option.
- Next, under the Settings window, select “Update & Security”.
- Further, from the left-hand side panel of the Settings window, click on “Windows Security”.
- Then, from the right-hand side panel, click on the “Open Windows Defender Security Center” button. Next, click on the Shield symboled option. This will open the Virus and threat protection window.
- Now, under the Windows Defender window, click on “Advanced scan”.
- Then, from the next window, enable the checkbox for “Full”.
- At last, click on the “Scan now” button. Now, wait until the scanning is done. If any virus is present, then the scanning procedure will erase them all.
After ensuring no presence of a virus on your PC, follow the further methods as arranged here to get rid of the error.
Method 1: Restart your Computer
After running a virus scan, the foremost task that you need to perform is, to restart your computer. After restarting your computer, you can get rid of this issue.
To restart your computer, tap the Windows button at first. After that, from the left-hand side panel of the Start menu window, click on the Power icon. Then, from the Menu window, click on Restart.
Method 2: Undo the Changes that had been Made on your Device or Device Manager
After restarting your computer, if still, the “This device cannot start code 10” error persists, then follow this method to the end.
If you have made any changes on your device before getting the error, then the change that you have made on your device needs to blame. Try out the solutions accordingly as pointed below:
Point 1: Rolling Back a Driver in Windows
The steps to roll back a driver in Windows are as follows:
- Press down both the Windows and the letter R key at a time to open the Run bar window. Then, in the Run bar, type devmgmt.msc. Next, click on the OK button to open the Device Manager window.
- Now, under the Device Manager window, locate the driver which you want to roll back. Next, right-click on the driver and from the Menu window, select the Properties option.
- Under the Properties window, click on the “Driver” tab.
- Next, under the Driver tab window, click on the “Roll Back Driver” button.
- After that, click on Yes.
- Then, close the Driver Properties window.
- At last, select Yes option to confirm the System Settings Change. This will automatically restart your computer.
Hopefully, this process will work if the problem arises due to any change made by you to the driver you have just dealt with.
Point 2: Utilize System Restore
The steps to utilize the System Restore feature are as follows:
Tap the Windows button first to activate the Search bar. Then, in the search bar, type control. After that, from the search result, click on “Control Panel”. Further, ensure that the “View by” option of the Control Panel is set as “Category”.
Now, from the Control Panel window, click on “System and Security” and then on “System”.
Further, from the left-hand side of the window, select the “System protection” link. Next, from the System Properties tab, click on the “System Restore” button. Then, click on “Next”. This will open the window that contains the list of Date and Time.
From the list of Date and Time, select the option in which you want to get your system. Then, click on “Next”. After that, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the System Restore process.
Point 3: Uninstall and Reinstall the Drivers for the Device
If there is any problem with a driver, then you will see a yellow triangle on the Device Manager screen. If this is the case, then uninstalling and reinstalling the driver is the best option to solve the problem. The steps to perform this method are as follows:
At first, tap the Windows button along with the letter R to get the Run bar window on the screen. In the Run bar, enter devmgmt.msc. Then, tap the Enter button. This will open the Device Manager window on the screen.
Further, navigate to the driver which shows a yellow triangle on it. Right-click on the yellow marked driver. Then, from the Menu window, select the “Uninstall” option. Further, choose the Uninstall/ OK option from the next window to confirm.
Once the driver successfully gets uninstalled, restart your PC and then check if the matter gets resolved. Restarting the device will automatically install the driver if the device is installed on your PC.
After trying according to the problem methods, if still, the error message returns on the screen, then try the further method.
Method 3: Update the Drivers for the Device
Updating the drivers for the device is one of the advanced methods to fix this device cannot start code 10 issue. The steps that you need to forward to perform this method are as follows:
The first step to do this method is to open the Device Manager window. There are several ways by which you can perform this task and are as follows:
Way 1: Press down the Windows+R to open the Run bar window. Next, type devmgmt.msc in the Run bar. After that, press down the Enter button. That’s all to get the Device Manager window opens.
Way 2: Tap the Windows button to activate the search bar. Then, on the search bar, type device. Next, from the search result, click on the Device Manager option to get the window open.
Now, under the Device Manager window, go to the device driver that is facing the problem. Right-click on the problematic driver. After that, from the Menu window, select “Update Driver Software”. Then, this will open the “How do you want to search for drivers?” window with the options as follows:
- Search automatically for updated driver software
- Browse my computer for driver software
Click on “Search automatically for updated driver software”. Further, follow the on-screen instructions to update the device driver.
Now, once the device driver updates successfully, restart your computer. And hopefully, from now you will not get the error further.
All these are the complete instructions to fix this device cannot start code 10 issue. You can also take the help of a professional to solve the error without any hassle.