After prolonged use of Dell laptops, users might face various type of issue and the audio problems occupy a bigger part of it. Sometimes the sound system of a Dell laptop stops working. Most of the time, the cause is associated with the Software or the OS. However, it might also be connected with a hardware fault as well. But, it is not a new issue and many pro-users have already found reliable solutions for it. Now, if you want to solve the Dell Laptop Sound Not Working issue by yourself then, start following this article. But before you go into the solution part, we will recommend you to have a look at the major causes of this issue.
Prime Causes of Dell Laptop Sound not Working Windows 10 Issue
Here are some common causes behind Dell Laptop Sound Not Working issue. Have a look:
- Incorrect sound settings of the Dell laptop.
- Misconfigurations in external sound devices like headphones, speakers, etc.
- Outdated or corrupted audio drivers of the Dell laptop.
- Damaged or faulty hardware parts.
- Inaccurately connected external sound devices.
Now, if you want to know about the possible solution then, move on to the next section of this article.
Effective Ways to Solve Dell laptop Sound Not Working Issue
The sound features of a Dell laptop are connected with different prominent sectors of the system. To solve this issue in the most efficient way, you have to identify the problems or misconfigurations associated with the sectors and then, apply your steps in this section. Have a look at them and try to apply them as instructed:
Check the Volume Settings
Most of the time this kind of sound issue appears on Dell laptops due to improper volume settings. Many users mistakenly mute the sound and this creates an illusion of Dell Sound Not Working. That’s why before you try any advanced solution, check the volume settings.
Set the Speakers as the Default Device
The next sound setting that you should verify is the default sound of the device. Sometimes, the default sound of the device is not set properly. It is quite easy to modify the settings, so go through the steps :
- First, right-click on the Speaker icon and open up the Context menu.
- Now, on that menu, you have to click on the Sound option.
- Instantly a window will pop up on your screen. On that window, you have to tap on the Playback Tab
- Inside that tab, right-click on the empty area. A pop-up menu will arise. On that pop-up menu, click on the ‘Show Disabled Devices’ and then, select the ‘Show Disconnected Devices’ option. By doing this you will get the required info about the sound device status.
- Once you get to the sound device, right-click on it and select the Enable option from the menu.
- After that, select your sound device and hit the Set Default option. Then, hit the OK button to save all the changes.
Now your sound device has been set as the default audio output option. This process should fix the sound issue of your Dell laptop.
Change the Audio Format of your Dell Laptop
According to many Dell laptop users, this issue occurs due to improper audio format. Follow the steps below to resolve the issue:
- To fix this problem, right-click on the speaker icon and select the Sounds option from the Context menu.
- Now, a pop-up window appears, locate and select the default audio device. After that, hit the Properties button.
- Once done, the Properties window will instantly open on the screen. Click on the Advanced tab.
- Inside the Advanced tab, you have to select a different audio format and then, hit the Test button.
- If you are able to hear the test sound then, it means that your sound system is working appropriately. But if this does not work then, move on to the next solution.
Reboot the Dell laptop
Now, if even after the configuration, your Dell laptop still displays the sound issue then, you should reboot your system. This action will rectify all sound settings and solve this Dell Monitor Sound Not working issue. A lot of users have used this trick and received positive feedback.
Verify the Sound Drivers Status
However, if the system reboot is unable to solve this sound issue then, you have to look into the system configuration. The first section that you need to check is the Sound/Audio Drivers. Sometimes, the Audio drivers might get outdated or corrupted.
- To check, open the Device Manager window, with the help of the WinX menu. Press the “Windows Key + X” key, to launch the menu. Then, locate and select the Device Manager option.
- Now, on the Device Manager window, you have to locate the ‘Sound, Video, and Game Controllers’ option.
If it is displaying a yellow or red exclamation icon then, it means your sound drivers are facing some kind of problem. However, if you didn’t find any such icons, besides the drivers’ options then, you should update your sound driver.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Drivers
If your sound driver is corrupted then, remove them and reinstall the sound driver
- Open the Device Manager and locate the ‘Sound, video, and game controllers’ option.
- Now, double-click on the corrupted sound drive to launch the Properties Window.
- On the Properties Window, you have to tap on the Driver tab. Inside that tab, you will find the Uninstall button. Hit on it.
- After that, reboot your system to reinstall the sound driver.
Update the drivers
Now, if you want to update your sound driver then, you have to open the Properties Window. Click on the Driver tab and click on the Update Driver option. This will open up a new window. Select the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option. Now, if any new sound driver is available for your Dell laptop, it will automatically get downloaded. Install the software for the drivers. Now, reboot your Dell laptop to rectify the problem.
Use the Windows Troubleshooters
Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the Start icon and open the search bar.
- On the search bar, type ‘troubleshooter’ and then, click the first option which comes on the result section.
- Now, on the Troubleshooter window, find the Playing Audio option and click on it.
- Now, the troubleshooter will start automatically and you have to wait till the process gets over.
We hope that these solutions are helpful enough to resolve the Dell Laptop Sound Not Working issue. For more tech-related content, keep following our articles.