Chrome is a web browser that is developed by one of the world’s most well-known companies Google Inc. This is currently the best web browser in the market among the various others that are present like Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc. The reason which this browser has gained a lot of attention is because of the simplicity of its user interface. Even due to the industry-leading unique features and a plethora of different applications, this internet-based software is the most frequently used browser. Despite this software having many unique features, even then you can get many errors. One such error that you can encounter is the Chrome error code 7: 0x80040816. In the section that follows, you will learn the causes behind this error along with some easy solutions.
Reasons Behind The Occurrence Of Chrome Error Code 7: 0x80040816
There can be many reasons for this error but in this article, the focus is mainly on the common reasons. Have a look:
- When the update of the Google Chrome web browser does not happen as it should, then you might get this issue. Basically, if the download of the software fails, then you may face this error.
- If the system files of your Windows OS get corrupted or damaged somehow, then you can encounter error code 7: 0x80040816.
- When there is an incomplete installation or uninstallation or improper removal of applications or hardware, you can encounter this issue.
- If there is a malware or virus attack on your machine, then also you can get this error.
- Even due to an improper shutdown of the computer, some files may become corrupt leading to this glitch.
Steps To Rectify Chrome Error Code 7: 0x80040816
In this section, you will get the different steps that will help you to resolve the given error in a simple and easy way.
Uninstall And Download Chrome Once Again
To resolve this issue with Chrome, first, you will have to uninstall it completely from the computer. Then, download the setup file of the application and reinstall it from scratch.
- First, press the ‘Windows’ key, then in the search area, type ‘control panel.’ Now, from the search results, choose Control Panel.
- Within the new window that opens, locate and select the ‘Programs’ category. Then, from the new window that comes up, choose the option ‘Program and Features’.
- From the list of programs installed, look for and choose the ‘’Google Chrome’ application, then right-click on it. After that, from the options list, choose the ‘Uninstall’ option to remove the application.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions and complete the uninstallation process of the application.
- After the removal procedure is over, download the setup file of Chrome from the official website. Do check the system requirements of this application before you download it.
- When the download process is complete, attempt to install Chrome by executing the setup file.
- As soon as the installation process is complete, restart your machine.
Check The Antivirus And Firewall Settings
If the settings in your antivirus software or firewall are configured in such a way that they block the update processes of Google Chrome, then it is possible to encounter the given error. Thus, in order to resolve this issue, tweak the settings of the antivirus or firewall in such a way that it allows the update.
Inspect System Files With The Antivirus Software
Sometimes, you can get the Chrome error code 7: 0x80040816 if there is any virus or malware in the system that disrupts the proper functioning of the Chrome browser. In order to get rid of any malicious files that hamper the performance of the browser, do the following:
- First, open the antivirus software installed in your system.
- Next, run a ‘System Scan’, which will check the whole system for any malicious files.
- After the scan is over, get rid of those files.
- Finally, restart your computer.
The steps to resolve the Chrome error code 7: 0x80040816 are mentioned in the above sections. If you simply follow the fixes carefully, then you can solve the error quite easily.