iMessage is the Apple built-in messaging service which allows its users to send texts, voice clips, pictures, locations, and videos quickly and easily with the help of iPod, Apple watch, Mac and iPhone. In the latest update of iOS 10, it comes with lots of new eye-catching features such as bubble and screen effect, emoji tapbacks and many more.
With all good things, some minor or major drawback also comes with the package. Not able to Log into the IMessage is one of the drawbacks which comes with the latest update of the MAC. Many Mac users reported that after the latest update they frequently face the login problem with their iMessage account. So, after giving a lot of thought, we decided to provide a complete guide of “can’t log in To iMessage On Mac’. So, without wasting any more time let’s check the methods of solving the login problem.
The Reasons for the Activation Problem of iMessage on Mac and its Fixes
After the latest Update iOS 10, people found that iMessage is not working in his or her Mac even though they can completely use its functionality with the iPhone or iPad with the same account. So what’s causing the login problem while running the same account in the Mac, let’s find out.
Before starting with the method we want to inform our viewers that these methods can also solve the Activation problem for FaceTime. So, if you are facing the login problem with your FaceTime instead of iMessage then you can also try out the below-mentioned methods.
Now let’s get back to the main topic:
Reason 1: Enable Apple ID for iMessage
The first thing you should check if you have enabled your Apple ID for Message or not. Sometime after the update, few permissions automatically got disabled in the Mac. So if that’s the case for your device then it explains why you are getting the error message.
If you are new with Mac interface and don’t know how to enable Apple ID then follow the below steps:
- At first, open your Messages and select the Preferences option from the top menu.
- Now from the new window, you have to select the Accounts option.
- When you open it, you will found IMessage option from the left-hand sidebar, select it.
- A new section will open at right side after selecting it. Now check if you are able to see your Apple ID name under the Settings tab. If it’s already there then check the little box of Enable this account option to fix the login issue.
But, if it already is checked, then uncheck it, wait for a few minutes and then check the box once again. Sometimes, re-enabling permission fixes minor functionality problem so doing this can fix the problem.
Once the above steps are completed try to login in the iMessages once again to check the status of the problem.
Reason 2: Downtime
In some cases, the user not able to login in the iMessage account because their Mac device is going through a system downtime. If that’s the case with your device then you don’t have to go through any kind of fixing method and simply wait for the service to start again.
To check if the Apple service is down or not, just open your Apple System Status page and check the status of the iMessage. If the status indicator shows a yellow light beside the iMessage then its mean Apple stop that service for the moment to fix it or provide the latest update. But if its show green then it means the service is not paused from Apple’s side to go through the rest of the article to fix the “Can’t log in To iMessage On Mac” problem.
Reason 3: Date & Time Settings
Many Apple support community claim that wrong configured Date and time setting start the login problem for them. After adjusting it to the correct time and date completely resolve the problem. Even though we don’t have proof of it other than huge amount reviews. But if you want to try the method anyway then go through the guide below:
- First, open the System Preferences from the Apple Menu and select the Date and Time from it.
- Now from the new window check if the given time, date and timezone is correct and precise. If it does not match then set it manually.
- When you are done verifying and modifying the information, select the small box of Set date and time automatically to avoid this problem in the future. [Note: If the checkbox show up as dimmed, then you have to click on the lock icon. After that, enter the Administrator password to make the changes.
Reason 4: Apple ID
One of the most common reasons for the login issue is incorrect Apple ID and password. It is found that 78% login issue is caused by either the wrong ID or the wrong Password. So if the above methods do not work for you then the next thing you should check is if you are putting the right information or not.
To check it, you have to follow the below guide,
- At first, you have to Open a new tab in your web browser and enter the Apple account page using the same ID that you are using to open the iMessages.
- If you are not able to sign in with the Apple ID then reset your password with the on-screen instructions.
- Once you successfully enter the Apple ID in the Apple account page, you have to go back to the homepage of your device and open the Accounts by going through iMessages ->Preferences-> Accounts.
- Now, select the iMessage accounts and sign out the current Apple ID and wait for a few minutes. Then, you have to link the apple account again.
Reason 5: NVRAM
You can also try to reset your NVRAM setting to solve the problem for your device. To start the reset process you have to shut down your Mac and then turn it on again. After turning it on quickly press the following key combination, Option+Command+P+R. Hold it for a minimum of 1 minute and then release the button. In this one minute of time, your Mac device will be restarted as you hold down the buttons. Now, your device will be reset to the setting it is initially was.
Reason 6: Third Party Application
Many third-party networking or security software sometimes interrupt the services provided by Mac. If you recently have installed any firewall, VPN or any other third party networking software in your device then you have to check if those applications are blocking any of the network ports that iMessage use. To check if you have disabled one of the software and try to login in the iMessage. If the problem is still their then enable the software again and disable another third-party application and check the error status again. This way, repeat the process until you find the problem giving software and completely remove it from your device.
Reason 7: Shortcut Icon
It may sound weird but it’s found that many people have the ability to login to the iMessage from Application folder of the hard drive even though they are not able to log in from the shortcut icon of iMessage. Even though it’s not confirmed why it’s happening but one theory state that, due to some malware infection the shortcut icon got corrupted but it’s not able to harm the main application folder. That’s why the user got login issue for trying to enter the iMessages from the shortcut icons but able to enter without a problem from the main application file.
So in this kind of situation, you can just remove the current icon and create a new one from the iMessage application folder to solve the problem.
Reason 8: Migrate the Mac User Account
If you getting the problem after migrating the account into the new device then it can be possible that some information related to the ID got delete or no longer valid. But don’t worry, we also have a method to solve this problem:
- At the beginning go through Application-> Utilities->Keychain Access
- Once you open the Keychain access you will find that Login option at the top left-hand sidebar and select it, then select the Passwords from the lower left-hand sidebar.
- Next, you have to type IDS in the Spotlight Search and look for the search result which shows your Unique ID with the -Auth Token at the end. For example [email protected]-AuthToken. [ For information it is an encryption key of iMessage ]
- Once you find them, you have to remove those encryption key from the device. After you remove them the Apple server will automatically create new keys and rebuild them for your device.
[ Note: Don’t delete anything else which does not have the email ID address or else it will create a new problem for your device]
- Once you have completed the above mentioned step just close the Window and restart your device. Now, try to login in the iMessage account again to check if the error is still there are not.
Wrap It Up
This is all for today regarding the problem “Can’t log in to iMessage Mac”. Hope our guide is able to resolve the login issue in your device. Please leave honest feedback below in the comment section. If our given methods not able to solve your problem then you can also contact our support desk for further guidance. We will be glad to help you. You can also contact us if you need advice related to the iMessage. Our team will try their best to provide an effective solution. Thank you for giving your precious time to read the article.