Avast service high CPU is one of the most searched error messages, which signifies that you are not alone who is facing it. But the good news is that most of the users are able to solve it with the application of a few simple methods. So, if you are getting this error recently, then, this will be the article which will be a good choice for you to read. After a thorough study of this article, you will be able to get complete information regarding the problem, as well as the solutions for each type in a separate section. So, let’s begin:
As we all know that Avast is one of the best antivirus tools available around the globe. Once you have installed it, it will start its function of scanning your device to make it virus free. However, sometimes it’s automatic scanning process may lead to a problem for you, that is because of its high CPU consuming behavior.
Operations Performed by the Avast Software Application
These below are the list of the common tasks performed by the Avast service:
- Background scanning
- Full virus scan
- Virus removal and cleanup
What is Causing the Avast Service High CPU Error?
There are several reasons which can lead to such an error, which are identified by expert users are as follows:
- Improper process of installation of the Avast antivirus tool.
- Inappropriate way of shutting down of the system due to a power cut or anything else.
- Removal of the system file or registry entry
- Consequences of a virus or malware attack
- Avast settings issue
Effects of Avast Service High CPU Error
Due to the Avast high CPU error, there are several difficulties which are users get and may be well-known to you. It did not let you use your device without slowing down system response. There are also other difficulties which it brings and are as follows:
- The applications are in use, may get crash suddenly
- Takes a long time to open certain applications
- The input which you provide while type anywhere, prints after a long delay.
Methods to Solve Avast Service High CPU Windows 10 Issue
Getting an error is always an unpredictable matter but solving it with effective solutions is always a challenge to the users. If you are struggling in using your device due to the fact that the Avast consumes a maximum part of the CPUCPU of your device then try the methods as explained below. Hopefully, one of these methods will definitely work for you in solving the issue. So, let’s not waste time and read these below sections to have a grab to the methods, for the application purpose:
Method 1: Remove Avast Cleanup to Fix Avast Service High CPU Error
The primary method which you can proceed to fix the Avast service high CPU-related problems is by removing the Avast Cleanup named component. Avast Cleanup is a real-time scanning tool that runs in the background to clear some resources which are related to the other apps. Due to this function of it, the Avast loads on the processor and thus results in such an error. If this is the case, then, you will be able to solve it, with the application of these below-said steps:
- At first, from the desktop screen go to the Avast icon and click twice on it, to open.
- Next, take the mouse pointer to the top right-hand corner of Avast home screen, and click on the Menu button (A box contains three parallel lines).
- Then, under the Avast menu window, click on the Settings option.
- After that, from the left-hand side panel of the Avast Settings window, select the second option, that is Components.
- Now, as you see the added components list at the right-hand side of the screen, locate the component named as Avast Cleanup.
- After that, click the downward-facing arrow next to the Avast Cleanup component and then under it, select the Uninstall Component option.
- And then select OK to confirm the changes.
- Once you have done the above steps, restart your computer. And next, as the device turns on, hopefully, you will see that the error gets fixed.
Note: In case, after uninstalling the Avast Cleanup component if you still stuck with the error. Then, try to uninstall the component named as Behavior Shield as well. And to do this, again the steps to follow will be the same.
After you uninstalled both the components as said above, if still, the error persists, then, try this below method.
Method 2: Tweak with Administrator: Command Prompt
A continuous background scanning process via Avast software can result in such an error. And the steps to fix this reason of the issue is very simple and are as explained below.
- At first, hit the Windows button to get the search bar active.
- After that, on the search bar type cmd, this will let you get the top-most search result as cmd or Command Prompt, right-click on it.
- Next, from the available options, select the “Run as administrator” option.
- Then, on the “Administrator: Command Prompt” window, type the command as below. And then hit the Enter key. C:\ ProgramData\AvastSoftware\Avast
- Now, as you get the Avast section window open, open the “avast5.ini” file. Here, you need to enter a command as below, in line. [GrimeFighter] : ScanFrequency=999
- And then hit the Enter button, to save the file.
- Lastly, restart your computer, to get the full effect of this method.
Once you have completed these steps above, now check if the error is solved. Hopefully, your answer is Yes to this query. And if no, then, continue to this below method.
Method 3: Solve Avast Service High CPU Error Utilizing Registry Editor
This is one of the effective methods to solve the high CPU and RAM usage error. And the steps to follow to fix this matter are as follows:
- At first, press both the Windows and the letter R button at a time, this will get you the Run bar window open.
- After that, on the Run bar type “regedit”, without quotations.
- Then, click on the OK button.
- Now, as the Registry Editor window gets open, from the left-hand side panel, unfold the folder named as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, by clicking twice on it.
- Next, from this unfolding options, click twice on the SYSTEM folder.
- Now, follow the path are as below.
- CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
- Further, check the right-hand side panel options, and among which locate the file named as “ClearPageFileAtShutDown”. Once, you get the “ClearPageFileAtShutDown” file, click twice on it, and change it’s value to 1.
- Lastly, restart your computer and verify if the issue is solved.
Method 4: Update the Avast Software
Many of the users get an effective result to solve this problem by updating the Avast software. So, you can even try this method to fix the issue. Actually, updating is one of the great jobs to fix many of the problems. If the Avast service high CPU usage occurs due to a missing or corrupt file, then, this will definitely fix the issue. The steps to follow to update the Avast software are as follows:
- First of all, you need to launch the Avast software from your system.
- After that, locate the Avast Menu (three horizontal parallel lines contained box), which is generally placed at the top right-hand corner of the window.
- Then, from the Menu options, select Settings.
- Now, look at the left-hand side panel of the open window. Here, you will get an option as Update, click on it for the further steps.
- Under the update option, you will get two different sections as given below.
- Virus Definitions
- Click on the Update button for both these sections one by one and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process successfully.
- Once, the Avast gets updated successfully, restart your computer, and then check if the issue gets fixed.
Method 5: Disable the Avast Screensaver Scanning
Avast screensaver is a weapon gets active after you install the Avast software. And sometimes it affects badly to the CPU health and thus results in Avast service high CPU error. If this is the case, then you can solve it very easily by following the steps as stated below:
- To begin with this process, at first, right-click on a random file on your PC.
- After that, click on the Scan option from the menu window.
- Then, as the scanning is over to your chosen file, you will pop-up with a result window. On this result-oriented window, you will able to see the current scanning processes which are active for other programs. Then, from these scanning programs list, search for the Avast Screensaver scan option.
- Now, click on the Stop button, which is beside the Avast Screensaver scan option. And click on OK, to confirm.
- Lastly, restart your computer, which is a common task after every method to get the complete effect. Now see if it resolves the problem.
Method 6: Repair Avast via Control Panel
If all these above methods do not work for you in solving the Avast service high CPU error then, you can finally, try to solve it via Control Panel window. And the steps which you need to follow, to perform this method are as explained below. So, check it out:
- At first, press the Windows and the letter R key together, to get the Run bar window.
- Then, on the Run bar type control.
- Next, click on OK or press the Enter button. Both will work to get you the Control Panel window open.
- After that, set the “View by” into Category, if it is not already. And to do this, you need to click on the “View by” menu arrow at first, and then, choose the Category option from it.
- Further, go through the Control Panel window options, and click on Programs> Programs & Features.
- After following all these steps above, you will get the window open, in which you will see all the installed programs list.
- Now, from these installed programs list, go to the “Avast Free Antivirus” option and then right-click on it.
- Further, from this appeared menu, select the Repair option.
- After that, click on the Next button.
Note: To do this process, having an internet connection will get you a better result.
Once, all these above-said steps are done, restart your computer and inquiry if the issue is still there. Hopefully, your answer will be no.
All these above are the methods with the help of which you will be able to fix the Avast Service High CPU error. So, without going to the extreme point of thinking regarding the error, it is better to try the methods as explained above. If you have stuck with any of the above methods to follow, then you can make a comment in the section as given below, to let us know.