When an application fails to initialize properly, the error code 0XC0000142 appears on the system screen. It might occur in any version of Windows. Usually, when you try to launch an application, it shows an error message saying “The application was unable to start correctly (0XC0000142). Click OK to close the application.” Moreover, the error code is caused due to the corruption of the program files that you are trying to launch.
Sometimes, the problem might appear when you are trying to run the cmd.exe file which is the DOS emulator program. Many people report that the error message is appeared on the screen because of the corrupt or damaged files of various applications that you are using on your device. There is a conflict between the programs or applications is also responsible for this error code.
Therefore, if you are facing this particular error code on your device, the below-mentioned solutions will help you to eradicate the error code instantly. Hence, follow the potential hacks and apply them accordingly to resolve the issue.
Useful Solutions in Order to Resolve Application Error Code 0XC0000142
If you do not have much knowledge about the error code 0XC0000142, then it is difficult for you to solve the issue without any guidance. Here, in this article, we have discussed all the possible solutions in order to fix the issue. Hence, go through the article properly and apply the method as mentioned in this section.
FIx 1: Repair Corrupted Files
As corrupted system files are one of the main reasons the application was unable to start correctly 0XC0000142, you need to restore them with the help of SFC scan. SFC or System File Checker is a tool that helps you to do that. Hence, walk through the following steps that are stated underneath.
At first, press the Start button and type ‘cmd’ in the search box to open the Command Prompt. A permission dialog box will appear on the system’s screen. Click Yes to confirm the action.
Type sfc/scannow in the command box and hit the Enter button. It will automatically open the SFC tool and scan your device. Also, find out the corrupted files that are present on your device.
Finally, follow the on-screen information to proceed further and check whether the error code is still present or not. Otherwise, move to the next solution.
Fix 2: Perform a Clean Boot
The clean boot method also helps you to eliminate the error code 0XC0000142. It improves the performance by turning off the unwanted application that is not used on your device. Hence, if you want to clean boot the system, follow the steps mentioned in the next section:
- At first, turn on the system and click the Start button. Write ‘msconfig.exe’ in the search box and hit the Enter button.
- A list will appear on the system’s screen. Select msconfig from the list. After that, a service tab will appear. Check the box beside the Hide all Microsoft Service section. Now, select the Turn off All button.
- Then, click OK to confirm the action. After that, restart the system and check the status of the error code. You can restore the system normally without any error.
Fix 3: Run the System in Compatibility Mode
Many users reported that running the application in Compatibility Mode might troubleshoot the problem. Hence, you need to try this one. Before trying any complicated methods, follow the steps that are mentioned in the below section to run the program in Compatibility Mode. Let’s have a look.
- At first, right-click on the Application icon and choose the Properties option.
- From there, you will find the Compatibility section, click on it. After that, select the Run compatibility in order to fix the option.
- Then, you need to select the Try Recommended Settings when asked. Now, press the Test Program option and a window will open with the recommended settings.
- If the application runs successfully, then okay. Otherwise, do one thing, close the application and press the Next option.
After that, click on the Yes option, save these settings for this program. If the program ran successfully. If the program did not run properly, then press the cancel button.
- A pop-up window will appear on the system screen. Select the option Run this program in Compatibility Mode For.
- To run the program as an administrator, you need to click on the checkbox and press the OK button to apply the changes. Finally, try to run the application and check the problem got resolved.
Fix 4: Using Regedit.exe
Users usually reported that the problem might occur due to the corrupted DLL files. Therefore, to solve the issue, you need to use Regedit.exe. You have to change the value of LoadAppinit_dlls key to 0. However, LoadAppinit_dll is a mechanism that starts the dll in its reg-key. Changing the value of it might help you to solve the problem.
- At first, launch Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R at the same time. In the Run box, type ‘regedit.exe’ and hit the Enter button.
- Now, move to the following path,
- After that, search for the LoadAppinit_dll from the right panel of the screen. Then, change the value into 0. Click OK to save the changes and restart the system.
Now, try to run the application and check whether the error code 0XC0000142 still persists or not.
Fix 5: Turn Off the Antivirus Program
In most of the cases, running the antivirus software is responsible for this error code. Therefore, if you want to get rid of this situation, you need to disable the antivirus program. So, to do that, at first, launch the antivirus on your device and move to the Settings option.
There you will find Disable the antivirus option. You can select a time for what time you want to disable the application. After turning off the program, try to open the application and check whether it is opening normally or not.
Fix 6: Using DISM Tool
Deployment Image Servicing and Management in short DISM is an in-built tool that comes with the Windows OS. Hence, you can try this method in order to fix the method. Sometimes, this tool will help you to resolve the issue. Hence, to run the tool, you need to execute the following steps.
- In the beginning, you need to go to the Start menu. After that, type ‘command prompt’ in the search box. As a result, it will show the Command Prompt option. Right-click on it and select the Run as Administrator option.
- Now, enter the following commands one-by-one and press the Enter button every time.
First Command: DISM.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/Scanhealth
Second Command: C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe/Online/Cleanup-Image/Scanhealth.
Third Command: DISM.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/Restorehealth
Fourth Command: C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe/Online/Cleanup-Image/Restorehealth
3. Wait until the above-mentioned command is finished. Now, exit from the Command Prompt box and check whether the problem still persists or not.
In the End…
In this context, we have shared all the possible and reliable solutions in order to fix the application error code 0XC0000142 in minutes. Simply, go through all the solutions step-by-step, and check which one is the best suited for you. Hope this post is beneficial for you. Nevertheless, it is requested that drop your valuable feedback in the comment section below to let us know about your experience with this.