api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is a necessary file for the Windows OS that helps the user to extract different resources for third-party apps. This file is connected with the C++ programming language. Missing this file indicates that the applications that are running using this language won’t open properly as they won’t locate the required file. It is a common error faced by several Windows users while trying to open some specific applications and games. Sometimes, it may also happen while opening an MS Office file.
If you also face the same error and unable to reach any effective solutions, then you have arrived at the right place. Here, in this article, you will know some amazing tips and tricks which can help you to fix this issue within a short span of time. Hence, you are advised to go through the article given below.
Easy Hacks to Fix the Error api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll Missing Error
There are a lot of ways to fix this issue. You need to stick to the steps given below to fix the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll missing’ issue.
Fix 1: Update the Software using Windows Update
Microsoft has developed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Basic Studio 2015 in Windows Update. Hence, you can easily install it using Windows Update. To perform this, you need to have a look at the steps given below:
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom-left corner of the screen and click on the Start logo.
- Then, you have to type ‘Update’ in the search field.
- Tap on the ‘Windows Update’ or ‘Check Windows Update: System Setting’ from the search result.
- On the next window, tap on the ‘Check for updates’ option.
- Now, it will start to check if an update is available, automatically.
- If you are using Windows 10 Operating System, then Microsoft will start to install the latest updates automatically. The Windows 7 users need to tap on the ‘Install Updates’ option.
- After completing the installation process, you need to restart the system.
After that, you need to try to relaunch the application to check if the issue still appears or not. If you see that the error exists, then go to the next method.
Fix 2: Reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
To fix the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll’ issue you need to replace the missing file by reinstalling the C++ redistributable packages. Here’s how to perform this:
- First, go to the official website of Microsoft.
- Tap on the Download button.
- Now, choose the system type: x86(x32) or x64.
- Click on the Next button. Save the file to your desired location on the system.
- It will start to download the file. After finishing the download, click twice on the newly downloaded “.exe” file.
- Complete the installation by following the on-screen guidance.
Now, try to open the app or the file to check if it launches successfully. If you still face the same error, then don’t worry, move on to the next solution.
Additional Guide: If you already have the Visual C+ 2015 Registrable 2015 Installed on your Computer
If you have the package installed on the system previously, then you should perform the steps mentioned below:
- At first, you have to launch the Run Command box by pressing the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard.
- Then, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Run dialogue box. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command. Or if you prefer, you can also tap on the OK button.
- Now, it will redirect you to the Control Panel window where you will see a complete list of programs that are installed on the system.
- Select the C++ Redistributable folder and right-click on it.
- Choose the Uninstall option from the list.
- If a new window asks for confirmation, tap on the OK button.
- Now, you have to wait for a few minutes until this procedure is finished.
- Then, restart the system to save the changes.
- After that, you have to perform the downloading steps provided above.
After reinstalling the C++ Redistributable packages, you should try to reopen the app to check whether the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll missing’ issue is resolved or not. If the error persists, then perform the methods discussed further.
Fix 3: Repair the Visual C++ Redistributable Package
You can also fix the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing’ issue by repairing the Visual C++ Redistributable package. You should try to repair the package by performing the steps stated below:
- At first, open the Start menu.
- Then, you have to type ‘control panel’ on the search box and tap on the Control Panel’ option from the search result.
- Navigate to the ‘Programs and Features’ section.
- Scroll down the list to search the MS Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable program and click on it.
- Tap on the Change button and then click on the Repair option.
- Then, the User Account Control prompt the confirmation. Tap on the ‘Yes’ button.
- Now, you should follow the on-screen guidance to complete the repairing process.
After that, open the application to check whether the issue is fixed or not. If the error still occurs, then move on to the further ways described below.
Fix 4: Update the Windows OS
Now, you need to update the Windows OS to its latest version to check if it can solve the issue. To perform this, you need to have a glance at the steps given below:
- First, hit the S and Windows key simultaneously from the keyboard. It will open the search box of the Start menu.
- Then, you have to type ‘Windows update.’ Tap on the first search result that comes forward.
- On the Update Setting Window, tap on the ‘Check for updates’ button. Now, the Windows will start to check for the update available automatically.
- Wait for a few seconds until the installation process completes.
- After that, you have to restart the system to save the changes.
After installing the latest update, you should try to open the application to check if the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll’ issue is fixed or not. If you see that the error persists, implement the solutions stated further.
Fix 5: Run the SFC or System File Checker
SFC or System File Checker is an in-built tool of Windows Operating System that helps the users to scan the system for damaged files. SFC is a helpful utility to diagnose any problem, as well as, it has the ability to fix the corrupted system files. Hence, you should try to run the System File Checker to check if your problem gets fixed.
While running the System File Checker, you will get one of the three notifications mentioned below:
- 1st: Windows didn’t find any integrity violations.
- 2nd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.
- 3rd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.
Steps to Run System File Checker on the System:
- At first, press the R and Windows key simultaneously from the keyboard to invoke the Run Command box. Then, you have to type ‘taskmgr’ in the Run Command box. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- Now, look at the upper right side of the Task Manager Window, there you will see the File tab. Tap on it. Choose the ‘Run New Task’ from the list. Next, you should type ‘powershell’ in the specific field and hit the Enter. Check the box that prompts ‘Create this task with administrative privileges’.
- It will open the Windows PowerShell with administrator privileges. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ and hit the Enter to run the command. Now, the System File Checker will start to search the system for any corrupted files, as well as, it repairs them by itself. It will a few minutes to complete the scanning process.
- After that, if it finds any error, you need to type ‘sfc /verifyonly’. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command. Wait for a few seconds until the process completes fully.
- After running the second command, if you are still not able to fix the damage system files, then you have to type ‘DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’ in the PowerShell Window. Then, hit the Enter key.
- As a result, it will start to download the damage files by going to the Windows update servers, as well as, replace the damaged ones.
Here, you need to connect the system with a stable internet connection. And don’t stop the process at any stage.
Fix 6: Copy the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file from Another PC
After trying all the ways discussed above, if you are still unable to fix the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll’ error, then you need to copy the file, from a system that runs with the similar Windows OS as yours:
Check the type of Windows Operating System Type:
Follow the steps given below to check the type of your computer:
- At first, navigate to the Start menu.
- Then, you have to type ‘system information’ in the search box.
- Now, choose the ‘System Information’ option from the search result.
- After that, you will see the detailed information, as well as, the system type of your computer.
Copying the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file from the Second PC:
To perform this, first, you need to find the “dll” file of the system. Here’s how to do that:
- At first, hit the E and Windows logo both at the same time from the keyboard.
- It will invoke the File Explorer.
- Now, you have to navigate to the location ‘C:\Windows\System32’.
- Then, type ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll’ in the search field placed at the upper right side of the screen. Hit the Enter to run it.
- If it doesn’t show any results, then go to the location ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64’ and search the file again.
- Now, right click on the file and tap on the option ‘Copy’.
- Then, you have to paste it by going to the same location as the problem computer. Right-click on a blank place and choose the option ‘Paste’ from the list.
- Restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you should try to relaunch the application to check whether the issue is resolved.
In the above guide, we have provided some of the possible ways to fix the error ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll’. We hope if you implement the above methods in their given order, then it will definitely help you to put an end to this error. After successfully following the above ways if you are still confused regarding this error, then you need to connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this post.