Android error code 18 is an error message that appears when you are trying to install and update an app from the Google Play Store. This is a common error faced by almost every Android users. This error message suddenly pops up and says that “App could not be downloaded due to an error 18”. Furthermore, you can not update any application but the update is already available in the Play Store. You can not download your favorite app. But don’t worry, here we will talk about some steps by which you can easily overcome Android error 18. Just follow this article till the end.
Primary Causes of the Android Error Code 18
To overcome this error, first, you have to know about the main causes of this error. Therefore, let’s find why this error actually occurs.
- Insufficient Of Memory Space
- Too much cache and unnecessary data
Now, we go for the solutions to this error.
The Main Method to Fix Error Code 18
Here we declare some methods to overcome this error. Just follow the steps below:
Method 1: Clear the Cache
- At first, go to the Setting option, then click on the Application Setting
- Then click on the All option in that search Google Play Store
- After that, click on the Clear cache and data option
- Once you clean the application then you need to Force Stop Google play store
Now, open the Google Play Store and check if the error still occurs or not.
Method 2: Unmount SD card
- At first click on the setting option > storage> Unmount SD card
- Then open Google play store and install the app which sends you the error message
- After installation of that particular app go back to the setting option again then click on the storage > mount SD card
This may fix Android error code 18. If it is not helpful to you, then try to remove the SD card before the installation of the app.
Method 3: Move the App to Phone
- At first, go to the Settings option > Apps > select all the apps available in the menu
- Scroll down and select the app which sends you the error message
- Then, select Move to Phone option
- Now, open the Play Store and update the app
- After the updation part, you can again move to the SD card
It may fix the Android error code 18. If not, then you can try the next step.
Method 4: Uninstall the update of the Google Play Store
Sometimes this error message occurs due to the oldest version of the Google play store.
- At first, Go to the setting option > Apps > Select all the apps
- Then, click on the Google play store > Uninstall updates
Once you uninstall the updates, restart your device and try to redownload the apps which give the error message. If it still occurs then you can try the next solution.
An alternative method for removing the error code 18 on Android devices
If the above methods do not help you to fix this problem then you can try this alternative method. If smdl2tmp1.asec file becomes corrupted, then also this error occurs. It is the last method hope it will help you.
- Remove the SD card from the android
- Then find the option smdl2tmp1.asec file inside (/sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec) and delete it.
Now reboot your device to check the error. It may fix this error message that continuously pop-up.
The above article gives you a brief idea about Android error code 18. Hopefully, it will help you to fix the message and you can download and update the apps again. If you have any queries, then you can put them down in the comments section.