Fallout 3 is one of the most successful action games that was released on different platforms by Bethesda. Nowadays, gamers like to play this game, that’s why Fallout 3 comes with PC support. Gamers can run this game not only on Windows 7 Operating System but also on Windows 8, 8.1 OS as well as in Windows 10 OS. But, it is quite difficult to run this game on the newest version of Windows 10 OS. If you are looking for ‘Fallout 3 Windows 10 fix’, then you have arrived at the right place.
Here, in this article, we are going to present some easy tips and tricks which will help you to launch Fallout 3 in Windows 10. Hence, you are advised to go through the article. So, let’s start.
Things to Consider Before Running Fallout 3 on Windows 10
Before running this game on your computer, there are certain things that you must consider. You need to check the points given below:
- At first, you have to download the latest updates of the OS. Then, you have to install it. Sometimes, most of the games crash due to missing updates.
- Update the drivers of the system to the newest version. Not only update the video drivers. You also need to update the drivers of the chipset, audio, storage, etc.
- You need to confirm that motherboard components are working properly.
- You need to update the DirectX files and Microsoft .NET Framework to its latest version before going to launch Fallout 3 on Windows 10 Operating System.
Easy Tips and Tricks of Fallout 3 Windows 10 Fix
There are lots of ways to run Fallout 3 Windows 10. Some of them are discussed here in detail. Have a glance at the methods given below:
Solution 1: Using the Display Settings
Before performing other complicated solutions, you need to try to run this game by changing the display options:
- At first, you have to right-click on Fallout 3. Then, tap on the Mode option from the list. Choose ‘Windowed Mode’ to launch the game in Windows Mode.
- If you are using more than one monitor, then you have to disable other monitors by going to the Display Settings.
- Now, assure that the resolution of the Fallout 3 game matches the Display Settings. To do this, tap on the ‘Graphics Adapter’ option by going to the Display Settings. Then, choose the correct resolution.
After checking the above settings, you need to check if the problem is resolved or not. If you see that the issue persists, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Run the Game with the Administrator Privilege
Most of the time, Fallout 3 won’t launch Windows 10 OS can be solved by just running the game with administrator privileges. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- At first, you have to navigate to the Fallout 3 folder under Steam. Most of the time, the default location of this folder is ‘X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps \common\Fallout 3 goty or X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3.’ Replace the ‘X’ with the hard drive of the system where you have installed the Windows previously.
- Then, find the ‘.EXE file’ and right-click on it.
- As a result, it will open the Context menu. Tap on the ‘Properties’ option from the list.
- Now, you have to navigate to the upper-right side of the display and tap on the Compatibility tab.
- Then, tick the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ box.
- Tap on the Apply button.
- Then, Click on the ‘OK’ button.
After that, try to open the Fallout 3 game to check whether the problem still occurs or not.
Solution 3: Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
Basically, this game was invented in 2008, that’s why it is not properly compatible with the Windows 10 Operating System. Hence, compatibility issues can occur while trying to run the Fallout 3 game. Fortunately, you can easily fix the compatibility issues by running the game in Compatibility Mode.
- At first, you have to go to the Fallout 3 folder into the Steam folder. Most of the time, the default location of this folder is ‘X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common \Fallout 3 goty or X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3.’ Here, you need to replace the ‘X’ with the hard disk of your computer where you have installed the Windows previously.
- Now, you have to locate the ‘.EXE’ file and right-click on it.
- It will open the Context menu. Tap on the Properties from the list.
- Now, move the cursor to the upper-right side of the display and click on the Compatibility tab.
- Next, you need to tick the Enable the ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’ box to enable the compatibility mode.
- Tap on the drop-down arrow placed under the ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’ option. Click on the ‘Windows 10’ option from the list.
- Tap on the Apply button and then click on the OK button.
After completing this process, you need to try to launch the Fallout 3 game to check if the problem is resolved or not. If not, then go to the solutions given below.
Solution 4: Download and Install the Fallout 3 for Windows Live app
Fallout 3 always needs the Windows Live application to run in a proper way. Fortunately, you can download and install the Windows Live application easily. To perform this, follow the steps:
- At first, go to the official website of Microsoft and download the Windows Live application.
- Now, you have to wait until it completes the downloading process.
- Next, go to the location where you kept the Windows Live application on your computer. Then, click twice on it to open the application.
- Perform the on-screen guidance. Then, follow the installation wizard.
- After completing the installation process, you can open the Windows Live application.
Now, the Windows Live application will start to run on your computer automatically. Hence, now you should try to run Fallout 3 to check whether the problem is resolved or not.
Solution 5: Edit the falloutprefs.ini File
After trying all the solutions if you still face the same problem, then you should try to edit the falloutprefs.ini file. To perform this, you need to follow the steps:
- At first, you have to go to the location ‘Documents\My Games\Fallout3.’
- Then, find the falloutprefs.ini file from the location.
- Now, right-click on this file. Choose the ‘Notepad’ from the list to open the falloutprefs.ini file with the Notepad.
- Find the ‘bUseThreadedAI=0’ file within the file contents. Then, change the value from 0 to 1. If you do not find the ‘bUseThreadedAI=0’ file inside the contents of the files, then you should add the ‘bUseThreadedAI=1’ in a new line.
- Right-click on the file and tap on the Rename option. Then, type ‘iNumHWThreads=2.’
- Now, you have to hit the S and Ctrl keys both at the same time from the keyboard to save the changes that you have made recently with the ‘falloutprefs.ini’ file. Then, exit from the current window.
After that, try to run the Fallout 3 game to check whether the problem is resolved or not. Now, you will be able to go for Fallout 3 Windows 10 Fix.
In the above discussion, we elaborated some of the easiest methods of ‘Fallout 3 Windows 10 Fix’ issue. We hope if you implement the above ways in their respective order, then it will definitely help you to put an end to this bug. After successfully performing the above steps, if you still face any kind of trouble, then you need to connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this post.