The speakers and the audio system of a computer, too, are vulnerable to damage and malfunction. One of the most annoying errors that the system manifests is failed to play test tone issue. Also, there are other problems that arise along with this and knowing them will serve you with the solution properly.
This article aims to render a comprehensive guide to treat the issue thoroughly. This issue manifests due to diverse reasons. The cords may be lost or not connected properly. The users are left perplexed and they seek an immediate solution for troubleshooting the error. But, make sure to take a glance at the diverse problems that lead to the failed to play test tone Windows 10.
Therefore, stick through the next section and note down the issues. Only after that, you can treat the problem both effectively as well as efficiently.
Probable Problems that the Error Triggers:
One of the common problems that the speakers face is that the system fails to detect its presence. At times, after treating this, several other issues arise. Underlying are those problems going through which can serve you with the solution quickly. Therefore, read this article to solve the problem conveniently.
Audio failed to play Test Tone
Audio devices are responsible for this issue. For treating this, the presence of outdated drivers must be checked. A simple update can solve it.
USB audio failure in playing Test Tone
The use of a USB sound card or USB headphones can potentially trigger this issue to appear. When there is a problem, the USB audio devices fail to function properly. The system either fails to detect them or the play test tone fails. The underlying solutions are effective to treat this issue as well.
No sound on Laptop
At times, even devices like laptops fail to give out sounds. The problem might lie in the system and requires careful implementation of the solutions. Updating the sound drivers is key but before that one must inspect certain other factors as well.
Simple Ways to Troubleshoot and Fix the Failed To Play Test Tone Issue:
It is essential for users to know the probable reasons for any problem to arise. But, when the sound of a system is the problem, one can easily trace its roots. Either the cables or the cords are loosely connected or the drivers are outdated. This hinders the system to detect the speaker connection.
However, make sure to stick through the underlying methods in order to fix the failed to play test tone error.
Procedure 1: Alter the Speaker Settings
Firstly, make sure to begin with the basic changes in order to treat the issues. The primary inspection is necessary for troubleshooting any problem from its core. Else, people tend to skip it and create further problems while trying to fix it.
Therefore, if your system is using a speaker system of 5.1, go to the settings of the speaker system and alter them to 5.1 from quadraphonic. In this way, the settings remain aligned and don’t contradict with each other.
Hopefully, this can solve the failed to play test tone at once since this is the scenario in most cases. But, if this isn’t sufficient, make sure to proceed to the next method.
Procedure 2: Switch to the Default Drivers
In this procedure, we suggest switching back to the default drivers. Doing this can eradicate the unnecessary updates and the incompatible components which conflict with the Operating System. For this, read on and implement the underlying steps.
- Go to the Device Manager and then proceed to locate the local audio driver.
- After that, right-click on it and then choose the option to Uninstall.
- Then, tick the option to Delete the driver software for this device and then proceed to click on the Uninstall button.
- Next, after you have uninstalled the driver, hit the Search for hardware button. After that, this automatically installs the default audio driver.
There exist diverse versions of sound drivers, therefore, it is essential to select the relevant or appropriate version. Then, proceed to download and then install it into the system. Note that you must download the default drivers properly adhering to the on-screen instructions properly. In this way, you can solve the failed to play test tone with complete convenience.
Procedure 3: Alter the Sound Format
If you constantly receive the error alert stating that the test tone failed to play, even after making an attempt with the earlier methods, then go for this method. Just altering the audio format can resolve the issue entirely. However, to do this, stick through the underlying steps carefully.
- Right-click on the volume icon in the Menu. Then, from the menu, opt for Playback devices.
- Now, when the Sound window launches, ensure that the headphones or the speakers are set as the default. In case you succeed to arrange them by right-clicking on the device, then from the menu, choose the Set as default device.
- Then, proceed to select the audio device and then click on Properties. The window appears to which you must navigate to the Advanced tab. Then, in the section of the Default Format, select a separate audio format. Then, click on the Apply option and then click on the OK button in order to save changes.
If altering the format doesn’t work, proceed to Restore Default key in order to restore the audio settings to the original values. In this manner, you can easily treat the failed to play test tone Windows 10 issue. However, if the issue still lingers, make sure to proceed to the next section.
Procedure 4: Disable all Audio Enhancements
At times, the error message stating the failure to play the test tone manifests if the users are using a particular audio enhancement. Some sound cards have the potential to support enhancements. However, they can also interfere with Windows and then trigger the problem to arise. In order to disable the audio enhancements, make sure to adhere to the underlying steps.
- First, launch the Speaker Properties. Then, head to the Enhancements tab and then inspect for additional information.
- Then, head to the Enhancements tab and tick the Disable All Enhancements. Then, click on the Apply button and then on OK in order to save the changes.
Finally, you can treat the failed to play test tone conveniently with these effective steps. But, if otherwise, make sure to proceed to the next method.
Procedure 5: Perform an SFC Scan
If nothing works, then the next method which you must refer to is the SFC Scan. The system files on the computer may be corrupted or faulty and this has the potential to induce an annoying audio error. However, in order to fix this, make sure to run an SFC scan which the underlying clearly stated steps helps you with.
- Firstly, press and hold the Windows button along with the R key in unison. Either that or type in the search box of the Start menu, Command Prompt. From the list of results, right-click on it and then select the Run as Administrator.
- When the Command Prompt launches, enter the term sfc/scannow and then hit the Enter button to run it.
- This triggers the SFC scan to begin. The scan takes about 10-15 minutes. Therefore, try not to interrupt the session and let it process in a smooth manner.
This can treat the failed to play test tone issue comprehensively. If the problem arises, make sure to proceed to the next procedure.
Procedure 6: Disable Exclusive Mode
The exclusive mode creates a problem at times. However, in order to fix it, follow the underlying steps that we have discussed below.
- Launch the Speaker Properties and then navigate to the Advanced tab.
- In the section of the Exclusive Mode, disable the option stating Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device. Then, proceed to click on the Apply button and after that on OK. Do this to save the alterations.
Doing this can conveniently solve the failed to play test tone error. At times, this procedure too fails to bring about favorable results. It is then that one must proceed to refer to the successive method in order to troubleshoot the annoying issue.
Procedure 7: Disconnect other USB devices
In case you are currently using headphones or other USB connected devices, the problem tends to arise during such a scenario. If an external device is connected to the computer system, at times, several problems take place. It may contradict with the audio channels or the settings. However, to avoid this, make sure to unplug those devices from the system.
Disconnect the devices from the computer system. After disconnecting, make sure to check if the failed to play test tone error lingers or not. If it does, proceed to the next method which can solve the issue comprehensively.
Procedure 8: Remove Recently Installed Updates
Another reason for the error to manifest is due to the Windows Updates. At times, an update procedure holds certain bugs which might trigger this problem to arise. However, follow the underlying steps to solve this issue.
- Launch the Settings application and then head to the Updates & Security section.
- Then, click on the Update history. After that, you will notice on the screen a list of updates to which you must click on the Uninstall option.
- Next, recently installed updates come up on the screen. In order to remove this, proceed to double click on a particular update.
If the failed to play test tone error does not appear anymore, it indicates that you have successfully solved the problem.
In order to treat a certain technical problem, we encourage the users to make an attempt to solve the problem on their own. Doing this can let the users know about the problem along with the solution. Also, for this, you do not have to pay a dime and can easily troubleshoot it with convenience. However, if this failed to play test tone error persists, even after trying your hands on all the different methods, only then do we suggest you avail of professional assistance.