Nowadays, more advanced games are much sensitive to the resolution of the screen. So, if you play games using an external game launcher like Steam, you can see several conflicts with the screen resolution. Among all of them, failed to create d3d9 device is one of the most common error which you can come across. When you encounter this error on your device, the screen gets black and pauses the game. However, you can also fix it using more than one methods. They are listed below. So, let’s get on to them.
Methods to Fix “Failed To Create d3d9 Device” Error
Here are some easy hacks using which you will be able to fix this error on your own. Try to follow them carefully.
Method 1: Change the Resolution of the Game
You can also encounter this error because your game is displayed in a resolution that is not compatible with your hardware. In that case, you have to change the resolution which you are currently using on your computer. In order to check the current resolution, you need to right-click in the empty area of your computer screen and tap on the Display settings/Screen resolution. Now, to change the game resolution, try to follow these steps:
- First of all, you have to press the Windows logo key and the E at the same time to launch the File Explorer. After that, navigate to the place where your game is installed and open the configuration file.
- Now, you will be able to see the file has a file extension of .ini. The location of it is different depending on what game it is. So, you may need to perform some research on the internet to know where it is and what it is called.
- Once done, you have to change its resolution to your desired resolution.
- Now, you have to restart your game and check whether you are able to resolve this error or not.
In Case of Steam
If you are using Steam to run your game, then you can launch it in the windowed mode. Try to follow these steps to change the resolution of your game.
- At first, you have to open your Steam client and navigate to the Library.
- Once done, you have to right-click on the game on which you are facing the error, and tap on the Properties option.
- Now, you have to tap on the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.
- Once done, you have to type “-windowed” and tap on the OK button to continue.
- Now, you have to close the Properties window and open your game.
- In case, you are able to launch your game, you have to change the resolution setting in it to your current resolution.
After performing all of these steps, you have to check the status of the error, it will be resolved. If not, then try to follow the alternative method.
Method 2: Reinstall DirectX Runtimes
It also can happen that, you are getting “failed to create d3d9 device” error because the DirectX Runtimes is not running properly on your device. In this case, you have to reinstall it and check if it resolves your problem. To perform so, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you have to go to Microsoft’s DirectX End-User Runtimes download site.
- Once done, you have to download the runtimes on your computer.
- Now, you have to open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computer.
Method 3: Update Your Graphics Driver
If you are using an outdated version of the Graphics driver, then you can encounter this typical error with your device. On that note, try to follow these steps to update the graphics card driver on your device:
- At first, you have to click on the Start button and locate the search bar.
- After that, in the search bar, you have to write update device driver.
- Now, you will be able to see a list of installed drivers which are installed on your device.
- From that list, you have to search for the graphics card driver.
- Right-click on the driver and select Update driver.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
After completing all of the steps, you have to check the status of the error. This time you will be definitely able to resolve this error.
These are some effective methods that can help you to resolve the ‘failed to create d3d9 device’ error and prevent it at the same time. In case, you are aware of any other fixes which can help others then you can definitely inform us via your comments.