Many users have reported this particular error. When the users try to launch a game on the system this message ‘failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected’ pops up. For instance, if you try to launch Minecraft or Mod pack, then you might come across this error. It is caused because of missing or disorganized mod and jar files. The solution for this problem is given below:
Common Solution to Fix the Error
There is only one particular solution or method to fix the error ‘failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected’. The solution is given accordingly. You must follow the steps exactly the way they are given to avoid a further error.
1. Replacement of the .jar file
It doesn’t matter whether you are a Mac user or a Windows user. Both the users can use this solution to solve the error. You are also advised that if you are using a Twitch launcher, then make sure you exit from it first, or else this solution won’t work.
- First, launch the game, if the error displays in front of you, then you just have to copy the link from the URL.
- Then, in a new browser, paste the link in the Address Bar and press Enter. You will see that a file is getting downloaded automatically.
- Now, open the Download Directory and copy the recently downloaded files. Then, you need to follow the file path displayed in the error, though it varies from user to user.
- Once you are in the folder, you will see the ‘.jar file’, and over here you have to paste the file that you have downloaded and copied.
After you are done with the steps try to download the game and check whether the file contents differ or not. Many users have reported that this method had fixed the problem of ‘failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected’.
What are the System Requirements for Minecraft?
The above-described error is mainly seen in Minecraft so you should have some idea about the specification of Minecraft also. Recently, Minecraft has been updated, hence you should check if you have a compatible GPU.
Minecraft is a sandbox game where the players can use their creativity and can make almost everything on their mind. If you are using Minecraft, Java Edition, then you need Intel Core i3-3210 3.2 / AMD A8-7600 APU 3.1 GHz CPU, 2 GB ram with at least 1 GB free space.
And, the operating system must be Windows 7 or up, with intel HD graphics 4000 or AMD Radeon R5 series. The pixel shader and the vertex shader must be 5.
For an iOS device, you need 289.4 MB with an operating system 10 or later. So, these are some minimum specification for Minecraft
How to Uninstall Minecraft?
If you are facing an error message and want to uninstall Minecraft, then being a Windows user you can follow these steps.
- First, you should go for backing up your saved files. You can relocate the files, and then go for uninstalling them. Press Windows and R and in the Run box type ‘%appdata%’ and press Enter. Now, open the ‘.minecraft’ folder and copy the folder, so that you can relocate them.
- You need to click on the Start menu and select the Control Panel. Then, select the Uninstall A Program or Programs And Features. You will see a list of programs that you have installed.
- Search for Minecraft in the list and select it, then press Uninstall. Now, again go for Windows and R, and type ‘%appdata%’ in the Run dialog box and click OK. The roaming folder will open in front of you. Drag the ‘.minecraft’ folder in the Recycle bin and right-click on the Delete option.
If you are a macOS user then follow the steps given below:
- First, you have to click on your desktop and hold cmd, shift and G, to go to the Go To Folder. Now, you have to type ‘~/library/application support/’ and then press Enter.
- You can also go for backing up the file, by just opening the folder and relocating the saved files.
- Lastly, you just have to drag the Minecraft folder to the Trash, and then right-click on the Delete option.
How to Reinstall Minecraft?
To fix various bugs you can simply go for reinstalling Minecraft. Below are the steps to install Minecraft –
- First, you need to go to your application data folder ‘%appdata%’.
- Now, you have to double-click the ‘.minecraft’ folder. Make sure you shift the folder to a different location.
- Move back to the Directory, the display box where you have seen the ‘.minecraft’ folder.
- You have to drag the .minecraft folder into the Trash. It might take some time, so wait for a while.
- Then, start the ‘minecraft.exe’ file so that you can download it again.
- After you reach the title, close Minecraft. Now, in the new ‘.minecraft’ copy and save the folder back.
For Mac users, you can follow the given steps:
- First, you have to open the finder window on your Mac. Now, click the Go menu and select the Go To Folder. Then, type ‘~/library/application support/minecraft’ and select Enter.
- Right-click and select the Copy and Save option, so that you can restore the files.
- You need to select the Minecraft folder and drag it to Trash. Then, download it from ‘minecraft.net’. Log in with the Mojang account so you can access the Launcher file. Lastly, wait for a while until the launcher will automatically install it.
So, this guide was all about the error ‘failed to download file, the file contents differ from what was expected’. This error is mainly seen while you try to launch Minecraft. So, some information about Minecraft is also discussed. Hopefully, it will help you to resolve the glitch.