Google Chrome is an all-time favorite browser for all Internet users. This web browser has gained its popularity with its smooth and fast User Interface. However, sometimes you might face some issues while using the web browser.
One such issue is err_ssl_protocol_error. This issue mainly occurs in a secured network. In this case, you will get this error message on the Chrome web page.
However, if you are a victim of this error, then follow this article now. Here, you will get the causes and the methods of this Chrome error.
So, proceed to the following section.
General Causes for err_ssl_protocol_error
Knowing the reasons can help you to resolve the issue in an easier way. Therefore, have to look at the causes that we have discussed here:
- Incorrect Date and Time Settings.
- If the Windows Firewall or the antivirus blocks the website.
- Also, if the Quick Protocol on the Chrome web browser is enabled.
- Any issue with the SSL state.
- The corrupted system hosts file.
- Any third-party web browser extension.
- Not clearing cookies and cache files for a long time.
- Using High Privacy security.
- Using an outdated version of Google Chrome.
Dissolve net err_ssl_protocol_error with Efficient Methods
Now, here, you will get the methods to resolve the issue. However, it is important to follow all the given steps.
Hence, have a look at the methods that are provided here now.
Method 1: Disable the QUIC Protocol of Google Chrome
According to users, if the QUIC Protocol is enabled on Google Chrome, then you can get this issue. Therefore, you have to disable the feature so that the issue can be fixed.
Hence, proceed to the following section to know the steps to perform:
- First of all, open Google Chrome on your desktop by clicking on its icon.
- As Chrome opens, you have to enter chrome://flags/#enable-quic in the address bar. After entering the command, hit the Enter key.
- Now, on the new web page, find the Experimental QUIC Protocol option.
- On finding the option, set it to Default. Now, you have to change it to Disabled.
- Now, navigate to the bottom of the page and then click on the Relaunch Now button.
- Once done, check if the error persists or not.
So, this is how you can perform the steps in order to resolve the issue. However, in case the issue still occurs, proceed to the next method below.
Method 2: Remove the Hosts File
Removing the corrupted Hosts File of the system will help you to fix the issue easily.
- First, press the Windows logo key and the R key at the same time. This will open the Run box on your system’s screen.
- Inside the Run box, type C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and then press Enter.
- As the new window opens, you will find a file named Hosts in the list. On finding it, delete the file right away.
- Now, close the window and then relaunch Chrome to check whether the issue resolves or not.
Method 3: Clear the SSL State
In case the SSL Sate is not cleared, then it can block the SSL connection. As a result, you face this issue while loading a website.
Therefore, you have to clear up all the SSL state.
- Initially, go to the Start menu. From there, open Control Panel.
- As the Control Panel window opens, locate and click on the Network and Internet option.
- Now, click on the Network and Sharing Center option.
- In the next step, click on the Internet Options from the bottom-left corner of the window.
- Now, a new Internet Properties window will open on your system’s screen.
- Move to the Content tab and then click on the Clear SSL State option.
- Once the SSL State is cleared successfully, restart Google Chrome to check for the issue.
In case the issue is resolved, then you are good to go. Otherwise, proceed to the other methods.
Method 4: Check and Fix the System’s Date and Time
Usually, the err_ssl_protocol_error occurs if the system’s Date and Time Settings are incorrect. Hence, you have to fix the Date and Time Settings with these steps:
- In the first step, open the Start menu and then open the Settings app.
- As the Settings app opens, go to the Time and Language section.
- After that, click on the Date & Time option.
- Now, you have to turn off the Set Time Automatically option by clicking on the toggle.
- After that, click on the Change button which will be under the Change Date and Time section.
- Set the correct date and time. Now, click on the Change button.
- Once you are done, close all the active windows and relaunch Chrome.
- Finally, check if you still get the same error or not.
Method 5: Change the Privacy Settings Through the Internet Security Window
You may have set your system’s internet privacy levels as “High.” Thus, this could be the reason for the issue to occur.
So, tweak some settings. Follow the steps that are discussed below:
- From the Start menu, open Control Panel and then proceed to the Internet Options section.
- Inside the Internet Options windows, click on the Security tab and then change the security level to medium or low.
- After doing that, click on the Privacy tab and then change the security level to medium or low.
- Once done, click on the Apply button and then click on the OK button in order to save all the new changes.
- At last, open Google Chrome to check for the issue’s occurrence.
Method 6: Clear Chrome’s Browsing Data
Clearing Google Chrome’s browsing data can not only help you to fix the issue but also increases its performance. Hence, carry out the steps that are explained here:
- At first, open Google Chrome and then head to the Settings section.
- On arriving here, scroll down and then click on the Advanced option.
- Now, under the Privacy and Security section, locate and click on the Clear Browsing Data option.
- In the new window, click on the Advanced tab and then set the Time Range to All Time.
- Now, check all the boxes available there. Finally, click on the Clear Data button and then click on the OK button.
- Wait for the process to finish and check if the issue still occurs or not.
To Round it off
To conclude this article, we have stated the useful methods that will help you to fix the err_ssl_protocol_error issue easily. Hence, after carrying out the steps above, you will not face any other problem.
However, in case this issue still bothers you, then head towards the experts for technical help.