Outlook has rivals, but many users still choose it over other apps. When it comes to migration, the switch is not easy, as different mail systems recognize different data formats. Mac Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Windows Live Mail, and some other programs save messages as EML files.
Although this format was developed by Microsoft, export is less straightforward than you may expect. To import EML to Outlook quickly and easily, you need a powerful converter like Outlook Import Wizard. There are also manual methods that do not guarantee accuracy.
Challenges of Manual Import
The problem with all DIY guides is that transfer may result in distortion or loss of your data. You must create a backup before attempting an import. After extracting EML files, you could try moving them into Outlook in different ways:
1. Opening files one by one
If you have a few EML items, you can open them in Outlook by double-clicking on each one. For this method to work, the mail clients must be set as the default program for files with this extension.
2. Using a native import script (VBS)
Unlike automatic converters that handle around 500 messages per minute, a script will only let you import up to 60 items. This method is extremely slow because Outlook has to open each of the messages before importing it.
3. Via Windows Live Mail
If your emails are stored in Windows Live Mail, you could try synchronizing it with Outlook. Note that the system has been officially discontinued since 2016, so transfer may be unsuccessful.
- Open WLM and go to the “File” section;
- Choose the export option for email messages;
- Select Microsoft Exchange and click Next;
- Click “OK” in the pop-up notification;
- Select the folders you want to move;
- Confirm your choice and let the transfer begin.
Transforming EML to PST is a tricky task, and it is best to use dedicated software. Converters developed especially for this pair of formats work quickly without configuration. All you need to do is allow the program to locate the files, select your preferences and click the start button. Here are the key advantages:
- Guaranteed accuracy and readability of the output;
- High speed (transfer several hundred emails in a minute);
- Direct import into Outlook profile or a separate file with the PST extension (this is convenient if you need to move the data to another computer or archive it for easy access);
- Import of several folders with their original structure;
- Simple interface with several buttons and menu sections;
- Compatibility with all popular versions of Outlook on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
Transfer of mail between different apps is always a hassle unless you have a suitable converter on hand. While it is not impossible to cope without such aids, you could spend hours and distort the files in the process. Top-rated converters have a free trial period, so use it to the fullest!