In this day and age, voice-activated technology is extremely popular. Because of it, all tech giants have developed their own version of this of an interactive tool. One of the best among them, that a large section of the consumers use Cortana. This is the personal assistant that Microsoft Corporation has developed. Although this a very useful, it can give issues from time to time. It might be the case that you just don’t want to use it. For that, you’ll have to disable Cortana Windows 10.
But don’t worry as this is not a complicated process at all and will take little time with the proper instructions at hand. This is exactly what you’ll get in this article, with which you will know about the best ways of how to disable Cortana Windows 10 Home, Professional and other versions.
Why You Might Need To Disable Cortana Windows 10
Before you disable Cortana Windows 10, the most important thing that you might want to do is to know the reasons. That way, you can possibly solve a lot of the problems without stopping the functioning of Cortana.
Personal assistants are in their infancy but still, you can get good features from them. However, the problem with them in this stage of its development is that there might be issues with smooth performance.
Cortana is very much accurate in terms of responses to voice commands. But, it can falter for a variety of different reasons, all of which relate to the software systems within the computer. It can be one at a time or more than that together, but deactivating Cortana is an all-encompassing solution.
One of the most common scenarios where Cortana malfunction is after installing updates. Due to issues of compatibility pertaining to new updates with Cortana. It can either malfunction or just stop working altogether.
Another problem that you might have is that of Cortana shutting down out of the blue. Say if you are using Cortana to search something, then suddenly it just stops working totally.
In case you want to open Cortana or access its settings, you can do that from the Windows Start menu. But sometimes, you might find that you are not being able to access that in the right way. So, if that happens the voice-activated system will be totally compromised.
The most common of the problems that you will come across, like most of the other people who like to use Cortana is that of proper response. Cortana does a lot of different things like search for information, carrying out certain functions within the system and lot more. If something is wrong with the system, it will not do its job the right way.
In case of malfunctions of the personal assistant feature, it might take up random noises as commands. It toggles any of the huge number of features that Windows has affecting the roper functioning of the PC.
So, to avoid all those adverse effects, the best thing to do will be to disable Cortana Windows 10 altogether.
How To Disable Cortana Windows 10
In this section, we have given the step-by-step instructional guide that will help you disable Cortana on your Windows 10 computer system.
- Go to the Windows Registry Editor by typing in ‘reged’ in the Windows search panel. One thing you have to take note of is that making changes to the registry does have a substantial amount of risk. So we suggest that you back up all your system settings data.
- Find your way to the registry key by taking the following path from there on – Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.
- Make up a brand new key with the name Windows Search, which you can accomplish by right-clicking and selecting New->Key and after that give the name Windows Search to the new folder that comes. In case it is already there, then just find it in your system and then click on it.
- Make a new DWORD (32-bit) value and name it ‘AllowCortana’, within the Windows Search Key folder. To do this, right-click and thus select the option New->DWORD (32-bit) value. And then change the name of that to ‘AllowCortana’.
- Finish by carrying out a reboot of your computer system.
Thus you will disable Cortana, which will ensure that there will be no unwanted technical glitches anytime. But, the truth is that even if you have disabled Cortana if it is making trouble. Still, it will give unwanted web results.
For that, you will have to disable the web search feature of Cortana separately. Here is how you can do it –
- Find your way to “Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search in the registry editor“.
- Once again make a new DWORD (32-bit) Value, but this time with the name BingSearchEnabled. In case it is available on your system from beforehand, then just set its value to 0.
- Finally, log out of it and then log in again and after that just reboot your PC.
This will be all you need to do to disable Cortana if it is giving you problems.