Most of the Windows 10 users have reported that they have encountered a situation when their com surrogate has stopped working Windows 10 while they are trying to play video or media files. In some cases, they can also get this error while trying to print a document. COM Surrogate is an executable host process that runs in the background, while you are opening files and folders. With the help of it, you will be able to see thumbnails and the error pops up on the screen when some process fails. The main reason, which you can encounter this error is corrupt codecs. Here, we have listed some methods that will ideally fix the issue.
Reasons to Encounter Com Surrogate has Stopped Working Error
You can go over this kind of error with your gadget because of a few reasons. They are listed beneath:
- In case, if you are using a corrupted version of the display adaptor driver, then you can encounter this bug.
- As mentioned in the previous section, the primary reason to get this error due to corrupt codecs.
- Due to a hard disk error, you can also encounter this error with your device.
- Moreover, you can also get this error due to the corrupted registration of DLL.
Now, let’s see the fixes for this error.
How to fix Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working Error?
There are more than one fix to troubleshoot this error. Try to follow whichever looks convenient for you:
Method 1: Get back to the Previous Display Adapter Driver
Once you encounter this error with your device, then, you need to roll back to your previous display adaptor. In that case, try to follow these steps:
- To perform this action, you need to tap and hold the Windows key and the “R” at the same time to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Here, you need to type “hdwwiz.cpl” as well as click on the Ok button to continue.
- After completing the previous step, you have to scroll down to the Display Adapters section which is situated in the Device Manager. You need to right-click on it and choose the properties section.
- Click on the Roll Back Driver as well as you need to follow the on-screen instructions. In some cases, it can happen that, this option is greyed out. In such cases, you need to follow the alternative method.
Method 2: Add dllhost.exe to the DEP Exception
You can also add the dllhost.exe to the DEP Exception to resolve this error. So, try out these steps:
- At first, you have to go to Start.
- Navigate to the Control Panel and locate the System tab.
- In the Advanced system settings, you need to navigate to the Performance settings as well as you have to navigate to the Data Execution Prevention.
- Now, you have to choose “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:” option.
- Click on the Add button as well as you have to navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe in the 32 bit Windows Machine and in your 64-bit machine, you need to add C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dllhost.exe
- Once you add dllhost.exe to the exception list, you need to Apply changes or click OK to continue.
Method 3: Re-register DLL
If all of the previous methods fail to perform its work, then you have to re-register DLL using the steps mentioned below:
- At first, you have to run the command in the escalated command prompt. To perform so, you need to go to the Start button as well as you have to type cmd. Right-click on the “cmd” program from the search results as well as you have to tap on the Run as Administrator.
- In the command prompt window, you have to type these commands as well as you have to Enter keys one by one.
- regsvr32 vbscript.dll
- regsvr32 jscript.dll
Method 4: Check Disk for Error
If this error occurs when you open a file that is saved in a particular drive, other than the C:\, then you have to then that drive will start checking this error. In that case, try these steps out:
- At first, you have to tap and hold the Windows key and the E at the same time, then on your Windows 7/Vista, you will be able to see the drivers which are listed. In the case of Windows 8/10, you have to choose the PC from the left pane in order to view the drivers.
- After that, you have to right-click on the selected Hard disk drive which you want to check as well as you have to choose the “Properties” button.
- Now, you have to tap on the Tools tab which is situated at the top and then you have to click on the Check Now under Error-checking.
- Check both of the options and then tap on the Start button.
Method 5: Update Codec
Using another method, you can also resolve this error. In that case, you have to go to the official website of the codec and download the latest version of it. Now, you have to follow this link.
Windows 7 Codec Pack: http://www.windows7codecs.com/
Windows 8 & 10 Codec Pack: http://www.windows8codecs.com/
Method 6: Close COM Surrogate by Task manager
In order to close the COM Surrogate by Task manager, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, you have to press “Ctrl+Shift+Esc” at the same time to launch the “Task Manager.”
- After that, you have to search, “COM Surrogate” and then you need to place a right-click on it.
- Now, you have to choose “End task” from the menu.
- In case, if you are not able to find the “COM Surrogate”, then you have to tap on the “Details” tab and locate “dllhost.exe.”
- Finally, you need to right-click on the “dllhost.exe” and choose the “End task.”
After performing all of these steps, you need to check the status of the error. If it persists, then follow the next method.
Method 7: Check Hard Disk Error
You can run the check disk utility to resolve this issue. This can be done as:
- First of all, you have to navigate to the “Windows Explorer.”
- After that, you have to place a right-click on the drive which you want to execute a file.
- After that, you have to choose the “Properties.” button.
- Now, in the “Properties” window, you have to choose “tools.”
- Now, under the “Error checking,” you have to tap on the “Check” button.
After completing all of these steps, you will be able to fix this error on a quick note.
So, this is all about “how to troubleshoot com surrogate has stopped working?” error. In the end, try to check if this error persists or not. Comment down your own experience and if you are aware of any other troubleshooting process, you can also post it. This will then help the other users out.