File extensions are used to identify the type of file which you have stored on your device. In case, if you are a regular Windows Explorer, then it will not be a problem for you to identify the type of the file. Each file format has its own specific properties. For instance – A.txt file will be opened by the text editor whereas an.HTML file will be opened in your default browser. Sometimes, it becomes important to change the type of the file to change the editor. In such a case, if you are unaware of “how to change file type in Windows 10?”, then let this article guide you. This article surely is a brilliant guide with some effective steps that will help you out.
Go to Show the File Extension and then Opt for Changing it
In order to show and change the file extensions, try to follow the steps mentioned below:
Showing File extensions Using Folder Options
In order to show file extensions at first, you have to navigate to the control panel and follow the steps:
- From the Control Panel, you have to locate the Appearance and Personalization tab.
- After that, you have to tap on the Folder Options or File Explorer Option. After that, you have to go to the View tab.
- In this tab, under the Advanced Settings, you will be able to see an option showing Hide extensions for known file types.
- Once done, you need to make the box unchecked as well as you have to tap on the Apply and hit OK to continue.
- In some cases, Windows 10 users can also search for the File Explorer Options in the Start search box as well as you have to open this box.
- After performing all of these steps, you will be able to see file extensions for all of the files which is situated anywhere in the Windows system.
These are some simple steps that you can follow and you don’t need any third-party software which can view file extensions. After that, you need to change the file extensions using these steps.
How to Change File Type in Windows 10?
In order to change the file type, first of all, you need to uncheck the option Hide extensions for known file types.
- First of all, you have to navigate to the file for which you want to change the file format. After that, you have to place a right-click on it and select the Rename option
- Now, you need to change the file’s extension to the extension of the type which you want to change into.
- For example, you can change a ‘text’ file to a ‘python’ file.
After performing all of these steps, you will be able to perform this action.
To Round It Off
Here are some effective steps, on “how to change the type of file in Windows 10 error?” Try to utilize the steps and change the situation which you are facing. If you are aware of any other methods to complete the action, then post it in the comments section. Stay tuned with us to get more posts.