Car sharing is becoming an increasingly popular alternative to traditional car ownership and rental services. The concept is simple – clients pay for access to a vehicle and can use it for personal trips. The car sharing system has become popular because it provides convenience and flexibility that regular car rental services cannot boast.
Car sharing is the future and an alternative to urban transportation. It is more convenient, economical, and relieves the driver of responsibilities compared to owning a vehicle for a long period of time. In this article, you will learn about the advantages of car sharing over regular car rental, where to start using it, and whether it is possible to travel outside the city.
What are advantages of car sharing over conventional car rental?
One of the biggest advantages of car sharing over traditional car rental is convenience. When using a car sharing service, customers don’t have to worry about making advance reservations or filling out lengthy paperwork to get a car. They simply choose a suitable vehicle in a special application and then rent it for the required period. At the same time, the company owner immediately sees the request in the car sharing software. Many companies open branch offices in different cities, so customers do not have to travel far to get the desired service. It is enough to look at the nearest available car on the map of their city and create a request.
Another advantage of the service is cost savings. Since the customer rents the car for a short period, they can save on fuel and insurance costs compared to renting a car for a long time in a traditional rental company. In some firms, customers may even be offered discounts on parking fees, provided they do not park in parking lots or garages at their own expense.
Is it possible to travel outside the city?
Everything depends on the specific conditions and provisions established by the car-sharing company. Some companies allow customers to drive their cars outside the city, while others prohibit it. Such a prohibition may be related to insurance to protect clients from potential issues resulting from accidents that occurred outside the city. Sometimes, the contract states that customers can drive the car-sharing vehicle outside the city, but they must finish the trip and leave the car only where they originally took it. Therefore, before using the service, we advise you to familiarize yourself with all the conditions. Otherwise, a large fine may be imposed for non-compliance, depending on the local laws applicable to where the user plans to go.
Are car sharing tariffs profitable?
Car sharing is such an affordable and convenient way to rent a car that it competes not only with car rental but also with taxis and public transport. The driver pays an hourly or daily rate that covers fuel, as well as insurance and maintenance expenses. The cost of the rate may vary depending on the location and type of car chosen.
To choose a tariff, it is necessary first of all to plan the route of movement, evaluate the presence of traffic jams on it, and calculate the time that will be spent on this route. Some tariffs are designed for those who do not know the route and how long it will take to get to the final destination.
Another aspect related to the payment of a car by car sharing is a deposit (hold). This is the amount that is charged to the client’s card and frozen at the beginning of the trip in case there are not enough funds on the card upon its completion. The hold is unlocked the next day after the end of the car rental. The amount of the deposit depends on the selected tariff and the class of the car, and it can be viewed before booking the service on the tariff card.
Rented cars from car sharing
When it comes to the types of cars used for car sharing, companies usually provide several classes of cars to give clients a choice based on their needs and budget.
● Microcars (Class A) are compact city cars that are no more than 4 meters long and have engine volumes from 0.8 to 1.4 liters. They are not typically used for trips outside the city. Examples of Class A cars include the Kia Picanto, Smart Fortwo, Hyundai i10, Citroen C1, and Chevrolet Spark.
● Small cars (Class B) are noticeably larger than Class A cars but are still compact and small. They can range in size from 3.7 to 4.2 meters. Depending on the body type, a sedan or a hatchback, one model can be classified as both Class B and Class C. Popular small car models include the Audi A1, Chevrolet Aveo, Citroen C3, Renault Logan, Ford Fiesta, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent.
● European class cars (Class C) refers to medium-sized sedans and hatchbacks that are perfect for city and countryside trips. These models have a spacious trunk and can accommodate up to 5 people in the cabin. Examples of Class C cars include the Volkswagen Golf, Honda Civic, Skoda Octavia, Ford Focus, and Audi A3.
● Large family cars (Class D) have spacious cabins and roomy trunks. The length of this class is usually up to 4.8 meters. The body of family cars can be sedans or station wagons. Popular models include the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Skoda Superb, Volkswagen Passat, Audi A4, Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Mondeo, Mercedes C-class, KIA Optima, and Hyundai Sonata.
● Business class (Class E) cars are vehicles that are no larger than Class D cars but surpass them in technical equipment. These cars often have premium options like seat massagers or active cruise control. Examples of Class E cars include the Audi A6, Mercedes-Benz E-class, BMW 5-series, Hyundai Genesis G80, and Volvo S90.
● Off-road vehicles (Class J) include all SUVs and crossovers. Some notable examples include the Jeep Liberty, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, BMW X6, Volkswagen Touareg, Range Rover, Cadillac Escalade, Toyota Land Cruiser, SsangYong Rexton, and Chevrolet Suburban.
How to get started?
Getting started with car sharing is quite easy. First, you need to download the app and create an account by registering. Then, you need to go through the verification process. To do this, upload your driver’s license and passport in the special section. It is important that your driver’s license is valid, otherwise, you won’t be able to use the service. Corporate software car sharing works in such a way that your application will be reviewed by the branch of the company located in your city. After your registration and account verification are approved, the option to search for a car becomes available on the platform. Then, you simply book the car, pick up the keys in specially designated places near the parking lot and start your trip. At the end of your journey, just return the keys to the designated locations nearby, which are often marked with special signs in the parking lot. And that’s it – it’s really that simple.
Car sharing, compared to regular car rental, offers a much more convenient, flexible, and economical way to use a car for a short period of time. It allows you to access a car in just a few minutes through a special app, pay only for the necessary time, and avoid additional fees.