Some of the users might have the experience of receiving a black screen, displaying an error message “BOOTMGR is missing WIndows 10”. It appears while attempting to boot the Windows 10 device.
It is one of the most annoying boot errors which mostly arises because the boot sector is missing or damaged due to certain reasons.
If you also find this similar issue then, you might find this BOOTMGR error in different forms like:
- “BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart”
- “BOOTMGR is missing Press any key to restart”
- “BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.”
- “Couldn’t find BOOTMGR”
Here, in this guide, we will be going to elaborate all the necessary information about BOOTMGR error along with the effective workarounds to eliminate it.
Principal Causes of BOOTMGR Error
Follow up the below section and identify the significant causes behind the BOOTMGR error on Windows 10 device.
- Hard drive related error
- BIOS glitches
- The Windows boot sector is corrupted or damaged.
- Outdated Windows OS
- Boot configuration data is missing or damaged.
Now, let’s move on to the next section and get the most effective technical hacks to eliminate this error from your Windows-based device.
BOOTMGR is Missing Windows 10 Fix it in a Few Clicks
Here, in this section, you will get all the possible troubleshooting methods to solve this error.
If you have already discovered what actually causes of this BOOTMGR error, then go straight to the exact solution for the error and save your time.
Otherwise, follow the methods one by one and implement them in the same order as instructed to get the best result.
Method 1: Carry Out Startup Repair
Windows Startup is an outstanding process that allows users to settle a lot of different technical bugs and glitches. To use it in this situation, continue with the undermentioned steps:
- Firstly, put your Windows installation CD into your Windows 10 device. Then, reboot the machine and boot it from the CD.
- A dialog box will appear on the screen. Press a random key on your keyboard and follow the on-screen instructions.
- After that, navigate to the next window and locate the option “Repair Your Computer” option. Once you find it, click on it and choose the language from the menu list along with any further details if needed.
- Thereafter, select the drive where you have installed your Windows and then hit the Next button to proceed further.
- Now, click on the “Startup Repair” button from the resultant menu and confirm the process by clicking on the OK button two times.
Once you are done with all the above steps, all that you need to do is to wait until the process is over. Possibly, this process will fix the BOOTMGR error.
Method 2: Re-Build the BCD with Bootrec.exe
To resolve the BOOTMGR missing Windows 10 error, you need to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data. Using this process, you will be able to sort out this matter effortlessly.
Step 1: Primarily, insert the Windows 10 installation disc and then reboot your device. Now, press any random key on the keyboard.
Step 2: Once the new window opens, search for “Repair Your Computer” and click on it. Here, you need to enter the language, time and other necessary information. Once you are done, hit the OK button to continue.
Step 3: Now, choose the specific drive where you have installed the Windows (usually going to be the C drive but it may vary).
Step 4: Thereafter, tap on the Next button from the menu and hit the drop-down menu to select the Command Prompt option. This will launch the System Recovery Options window.
Step 5: Here, in this window, you need to enter the following command.and hit the Enter key to execute it.
After executing the command, you need to restart your device to let the new changes take effect. Once your device restarts, check whether the issue gets resolved or not.
Method 3: Perform System Restore
System Restore is another effective method that you can consider resolving the issue. In order to run the System Restore, you require to carry out the steps as mentioned below.
- Put the Windows 10 installation disk once again and then reboot the device. Boot the system from that disk.
- Once your device restarts, wait for the prompt and press any random key. Then, you will find a new window that comes up on the screen.
- Here, you will see a dialog box that appears on the screen saying “Repair Your Computer”, select and click on it.
- Now, select the drive where you have installed the Windows OS and then hit the Next button.
- After that, locate and select the “System Restore” button from the System Recovery window.
- You will get all the required instructions to follow on the screen.
- Choose a restore point and hit the OK button to restore your machine. Lastly, hit the Finish button and OK button to complete the process.
In this way, you will be able to perform the system restore and fix the concerned error.
Method 4: Change the Boot Sequence in BIOS
The priority of booting is quite an essential concern when it comes to the accurate function of Windows 10.
In any case, if the boot sequence is not set in the proper manner, then it might trigger various issues including the BOOTMGR error.
You need to change the boot sequence correctly and to do that, you can follow the steps.
Step 1: At first, open your Windows 10 device and press any keys such as Esc, F1, F8, F2, or F10. It differs in different models or device you are using.
Step 2: Now, navigate to the BIOS Setup page and initiate the utility page. Here, you can use the 4 arrow keys in order to locate the Boot tab.
Step 3: Set the boot sequence where the DVD or the CD drive has the top priority.
Step 4: Press the Apply button as well as the OK button to save these new changes. Once it is done, exit the window and select the Restart button.
After performing the above methods, you will resolve the BOOTMGR missing Windows 10 successfully. If any of them didn’t help you out, then reinstall the OS on the device.
In case, you have any further queries regarding this BOOTMGR error, feel free to post your difficulties in the feedback section below. We will revert back to you as soon as possible.
Furthermore, you can also take experts’ assistance for the ultimate help. Experts will take care of the situation if required.